The Executive MBA programme is targeted at experienced managers across a range of industries and sectors who want to boost their career prospects and enhance their thinking about management practice. Each taught module is delivered in an intensive four-day block spread over one long weekend – Friday to Monday. Modules are offered at six points during the academic year.
The part-time delivery mode is designed to be as flexible as possible to meet the needs of busy professionals juggling career and other commitments with study.
Please be reassured that the vote to leave the European Union does not mean there will be any immediate material change to the UK university sector’s participation in EU programmes nor to the immigration status of prospective EU students starting in 2016/17 and 2017/18. Visit our EU Referendum information page for more information.
The twelve taught modules and dissertation are taken in a minimum of two and a half years and a maximum of four years and a half years. Each taught module is delivered in an intensive four day block spread over one long weekend – Friday to Monday. Modules are offered at six points during the academic year.
The programme will equip graduates to move into more senior management positions either in their own organization or elsewhere.
- Long tradition and established track record of teaching business
- The Birmingham MBA is triple-crown accredited
- Established international reputation of School and University
- State-of-the art teaching and learning facilities in purpose-built complex
- Research led – cutting-edge research feeds directly into teaching
- Personal development programme and opportunities
- Highly diverse multinational student groups
- International syllabus with focus on the issues of globalisation
- Excellent career management support
- Friendly approachable academic and administrative staff dedicated to provide continuous support for your studies and other needs
- Excellent IT provision including a wireless network for laptops
- Campus accommodation guarantee scheme for international students
- Access to all the social, support and academic facilities of the University
Students are permitted to take one of three versions of the following modules depending on their preferred method of delivery or location (Online, at the University of Birmingham campus or via Singapore Institute of Management)
Students are required to choose 6 of the following options to achieve a total of 60 credits. Students are permitted to take one of three versions of the following modules depending on their preferred method of delivery or location (Online, at the University of Birmingham campus or via Singapore Institute of Management)
The modules listed on our website may occasionally be subject to change. For example, as you will appreciate, key members of staff may leave the University and this might necessitate a review of the modules that are offered. Where a module is no longer available, we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other changes.
When the taught modules have been completed, an MBA Dissertation is submitted to fulfil the requirements for the award of the degree. The subject of the dissertation can be related to your work environment or to an area of interest to your employer, which may encourage them to support you with time for study or financial assistance.
View the Executive MBA module dates for 2018/19View the Executive MBA module dates for 2017/18
Each taught module is delivered in an intensive four day block from Friday to Monday. This minimises disruption to your workplace commitments. Modules are offered at six points during the academic year.
View more details on The Birmingham MBA Fees.
Learn more about fees and funding.
Scholarships and studentships
Scholarships may be available. International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Postgraduate Loans for Masters students
If you're an English-resident, or EU student, you may be eligible for a loan to study a taught or research Masters in any subject. The government-backed student loan will provide up to £10,280 in 2017.
Detailed criteria and information regarding the application can be found on our postgraduate funding page.
- Questions about funding? Use our Student Help knowledge base to find the answer.
- A good Honours degree (or equivalent), or equivalent professional qualification
- Five years work experience
- IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in any band); TOEFL IBT 88 (21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 59 (in all four skills)
We accept a range of qualifications from different countries - learn more about international entry requirements. Our country pages show you what qualifications we accept from your country.
English language requirements
IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in any band); TOEFL IBT 88 (21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 59 (in all four skills).
You can satisfy our English language requirements in two ways:
If you are currently studying at a Chinese university, please view our specific entry requirements including our list of acceptable universities for further study at Birmingham.
When clicking on the Apply Now button you will be directed to an application specifically designed for the programme you wish to apply for where you will create an account with the University application system and submit your application and supporting documents online. Further information regarding how to apply online can be found on the How to apply pages
- Core taught elements in functional business disciplines. As a research-led School, the latest thinking and techniques can be rapidly incorporated and teaching kept at the cutting edge
- Classes and seminars supplement lectures, where fuller analysis and discussion takes place and important business skills, such as analysis, argument and synthesis, can be developed
- Case studies are used as a means of relating theory to practical situations and students will often work in small groups with other students on assignments designed to develop problem solving and interpersonal skills
- A series of industrial seminars, given by outside speakers from industry and commerce, provides contemporary ‘real world’ perspectives on the business environment – past visitors to the School have included Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England (and a former professor of the University of Birmingham) and Sir John Bond, Chairman of HSBC Holdings
- Cross-Cultural Management skills are developed in a variety of workshops and Issues in Global Competitiveness are the focus of a specialist series of seminars
- Researching and writing a project develops skills in information gathering, analysis and report writing
Hear from our Distinguished Leaders
Each year we invite alumni from Birmingham Business School to speak to our current MBA students. These alumni speakers have gone on to become leaders in their field and can offer valuable advice and insight to our students from their own experience of the business world.
Learn more about the series
A bespoke learning environment
As a Birmingham MBA student, you will have exclusive access to the second floor of our new postgraduate teaching space, the Alan Walters Building. This will provide you with access to facilities of the highest quality, including a Harvard-style lecture theatre, dedicated computer cluster and seminar rooms as well as breakout rooms and communal areas for studying and group work, which will look out over the Green Heart when completed in 2019.
EXPLORE OUR POSTGRADUATE TEACHING SPACE IN 360 DEGREES
- A supporting programme of consultant delivered career-development workshops allow you to reflect on the impact of what you have learnt on your future career development
An MBA alumni, who is now a Marketing Director at Thomson Local, discusses his time studying a Birmingham MBA.
From the very start of your MBA, you receive bespoke advice from our employment consultants. Through one-to-one coaching, our industry experienced they work with you to clarify your aspirations and support you in your future career, jointly developing a winning employment strategy to take you to the next level and to open doors to a range of potential employer.
Whilst on your MBA you will have the opportunity to engage with top international companies. Our MBA students have participated in a range of activities with employers including BP, GE, IBM, Accenture, Capgemini, Unilever, Deloitte and HSBC.
Group and individual activities to enhance your skills
Throughout the programme, you will have the opportunity to be involved in group and individual activities all aimed at helping you to develop the skills and techniques which lead to highly successful employment outcomes.
A few examples of these activities that you will undertake throughout your MBA programme include online profile building, Careers in Consultancy networking event, Distinguished leaders alumni seminar series, mock assessment centre, skills coaching, and video recorded interview practice.
Careers in Business
Careers in Business is a dedicated service for postgraduate Business School students. We’ll help you in all aspects of your career management, from planning your job-seeking strategies, applying for jobs, preparing for interviews and assessment centres and developing your essential employability skills. At the start of your programme you will receive an email from our team, giving details of how you can access Careers in Business Online. Please get in touch to find out how our Careers in Business team can support you.
Learn more about the service that our Careers in Business team can provide.
Career development advice
Our consultants offer an individual advice service, which includes:
Career review and objective setting
Interview and selection advice
Working in the UK
International work enquiries
Employers aren’t just looking for great qualifications. They want to see high-quality personal skills too, such as team working, leadership, presentation and interpersonal skills. Our Skills Development Consultants offer individual appointments to help you shape and hone these qualities.
Keeping you up to date
Our Employer Liaison Team regularly undertakes initiatives to attract employment/ project opportunities into the Business School. You can find information about vacancies and other openings on Careers in Business Online and on Business School noticeboards, as well as through the
Careers and Employability Centre vacancy database
Careers events and workshops
This is your chance to find out about employment opportunities, develop your skills and network with industry professionals. Our range of career management, personal development and employer events are a great opportunity to discover what’s open to you upon graduation – just sign up to the events to take part.
Using the Careers and Employability Centre
Postgraduate students in the Business School are very welcome to use the services provided by the Careers and Employability Centre such as online vacancy listings, employer presentations and fairs and accessing online careers information. You can use the Careers in Business team for individual appointments, CV checking, mock interviews and other job search-related activities.