Globalisation and freedom of trade have elevated international business to an increasingly important role in the global economy. This full-time MBA comprises four challenging enterprise projects where you will work closely with businesses both in the UK and overseas, allowing you to experience a wide range of business dynamics at all levels.
Our approach on the MBA programme is to constantly apply theory to practice – so you will be able to immediately apply your learning in the real world and make a lasting impact on your industry.
If you are interested in undertaking our Online MBA, you can learn more here. Our Online MBA is the first and only distance learning MBA in the world to be accredited by AMBA.
We can confirm that EU students who are already studying at the University of Birmingham or who intend to start their studies in 2018 or 2019 will continue to be charged the UK fee rate applicable at the time (may be subject to annual increases for inflation) for the duration of their course. The Postgraduate Masters or Doctoral loan will also be available to eligible EU students for the duration of their course. Visit our EU Referendum information page for more information.
MBA International Business
“The best thing about the MBA course is that I had the opportunity to immerse myself within a high-calibre international student cohort at the centre of a research-led business school and was thus able to increase my global awareness. ”
Quick links: Why study this course | Modules | Fees and Funding |Entry Requirements | How to apply
Your MBA programme
On this course you will take twelve modules and submit a research or company-based project. The modules available to view below are for the full-time MBA International Business programme. As a research-led School, the latest thinking and techniques can be rapidly incorporated and teaching kept at the cutting edge.
Those taking the Global Banking and Finance programme take the core MBA modules plus other specialist modules for their particular programme.
Expand your understanding of international business – develop strategic and management skills by exploring business theory and practice.
Access the latest research – as a research led business school, we give our students access to the latest trends, data and knowledge across global business.
A life-time of career coaching – from the moment you join us you will have a mentor and career coach available to guide you through the many opportunities open to you in international business.
Accredited business school – We hold the prestigious ‘triple-crown’ accreditation from the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), AMBA (Association of MBAs) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System).
Learn from business leaders
On the International Business MBA programme we deliver a series of industrial seminars, given by outside speakers from industry and commerce which provides contemporary ‘real world’ perspectives on the business environment. Often these speakers are Birmingham MBA alumni who can lend their perspective on how the course helped them to develop their career.
- Birmingham Business School holds triple-crown accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS).
- The University of Birmingham was named University of the Year for Graduate Employment in 2016 by both The Times and The Sunday Times and currently ranks at 5th in the UK for Graduate Prospects by The Complete University Guide (2018)
- Birmingham Business School’s MBA portfolio ranked in the top 15 MBAs in the UK (2017) by the Economist.
- Birmingham Business School is the UK’s oldest business school, bringing more than 100 years of innovative teaching and research.
- The University of Birmingham is a member of the Russell Group, an organisation of the UK’s top 24 research-led universities.
- The University of Birmingham is also a member of Universitas 21, the leading global network of research-intensive universities.
The following must be taken:
Student should choose 3 of the following modules:
Students must also choose one of the following:
The modules listed on our website may occasionally be subject to change. For example, as you will appreciate, key members of staff may leave the University and this might necessitate a review of the modules that are offered. Where a module is no longer available, we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other choices.
View The Birmingham MBA Fees.
To learn more about fees and funding, please view the University's guide to tuition fees for postgraduates.
Scholarships and studentships
Scholarships may be available. International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
For further information view the currently available MBA scholarships, contact the School directly or visit the University of Birmingham's Students Academic Services.
Postgraduate Loans for Masters students
If you're an English-resident, or EU student, you may be eligible for a loan to study a taught or research Masters in any subject. The government-backed student loan will provide up to £10,280 in 2017.
Detailed criteria and information regarding the application can be found on our postgraduate funding page.
- Questions about funding? Use our Student Help knowledge base to find the answer.
12 month route:
- A good Honours degree (or equivalent), or equivalent professional qualification
- Five years of work experience with evidence of extensive managerial experience or professional responsibility. Three years exceptional work experience meeting this criteria will also be considered
- IELTS 7.0 (with no less than 6.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 95 (with no less than 22 in any band); Pearson Academic Test of English 67 (in all four skills)
21 month route:
- A good Honours degree, demonstrated numeracy, and adequate preparation in Economics and Accounting
- A minimum of three years full-time work experience
- IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in any band); TOEFL IBT 88 (21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 59 (in all four skills)
24 month route:
- A good Honours degree (or equivalent),or equivalent professional qualification
- A minimum of three years’ full-time work experience with evidence of extensive managerial experience or professional responsibility
- IELTS 6.0 (with no less than 5.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 82 (19 in Reading, 19 in Listening, 21 in Speaking and 19 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 51 (in all four skills)
Learn more about entry requirements
We accept a range of qualifications from different countries – learn more about international entry requirements
English language requirements:
- 12-month MBA – IELTS 7.0 (with no less than 6.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 95 (with no less than 22 in any band); Pearson Academic Test of English 67 (in all four skills).
- 21-month route – IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in any band); TOEFL IBT 88 (21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 59 (in all four skills).
- 24-month route – IELTS 6.0 (with no less than 5.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 82 (19 in Reading, 19 in Listening, 21 in Speaking and 19 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 51 (in all four skills).
When clicking on the Apply Now button you will be directed to an application specifically designed for the programme you wish to apply for where you will create an account with the University application system and submit your application and supporting documents online. Further information regarding how to apply online can be found on the How to apply pages
Classes and seminars supplement lectures, where fuller analysis and discussion takes place and important business skills, such as analysis, argument and synthesis, can be developed. Case studies are used as a means of relating theory to practical situations and students will often work in small groups with other students on assignments designed to develop problem solving and interpersonal skills.
The Birmingham MBA Deloitte Consultancy Challenge
The Birmingham MBA Deloitte Consultancy Challenge is a week-long intensive consultancy training programme delivered exclusively to Birmingham Business School by Deloitte for our MBA students. Hear from the Deloitte partners and our students, who talk about the experience.
Cross-Cultural Management skills are developed in a variety of workshops and Issues in Global Competitiveness are the focus of a specialist series of seminars. Researching and writing a project develops skills in information gathering, analysis and report writing.
A supporting programme of consultant delivered career-development workshops allow you to reflect on the impact of what you have learnt on your future career development.
A high-class learning environment
As a Birmingham MBA student, you will have exclusive access to the second floor of our award-winning £10 million postgraduate teaching space, the Alan Walters Building. This will provide you with access to facilities of the highest quality, including a Harvard-style lecture theatre, dedicated computer cluster and seminar rooms as well as breakout rooms and communal areas for studying and group work, which will look out over the University's ambitious Green Heart development, due to be completed in 2019.
From the very start of your MBA, you receive bespoke advice from our employment consultants. Through one-to-one coaching, our industry experienced they work with you to clarify your aspirations and support you in your future career, jointly developing a winning employment strategy to take you to the next level and to open doors to a range of potential employer.
Whilst on your MBA you will have the opportunity to engage with top international companies. Our MBA students have participated in a range of activities with employers including BP, GE, IBM, Accenture, Capgemini, Unilever, Deloitte and HSBC.
Group and individual activities to enhance your skills
Throughout the programme, you will have the opportunity to be involved in group and individual activities all aimed at helping you to develop the skills and techniques which lead to highly successful employment outcomes.
A few examples of these activities that you will undertake throughout your MBA programme include online profile building, Careers in Consultancy networking event, Distinguished leaders alumni seminar series, mock assessment centre, skills coaching, and video recorded interview practice.
Careers in Business
Careers in Business is a dedicated service for postgraduate Business School students. We’ll help you in all aspects of your career management, from planning your job-seeking strategies, applying for jobs, preparing for interviews and assessment centres and developing your essential employability skills. At the start of your programme you will receive an email from our team, giving details of how you can access Careers in Business Online. Please get in touch to find out how our Careers in Business team can support you.
Learn more about the service that our Careers in Business team can provide.
Career development advice
Our consultants offer an individual advice service, which includes:
Career review and objective setting
Interview and selection advice
Working in the UK
International work enquiries
Employers aren’t just looking for great qualifications. They want to see high-quality personal skills too, such as team working, leadership, presentation and interpersonal skills. Our Skills Development Consultants offer individual appointments to help you shape and hone these qualities.
Keeping you up to date
Our Employer Liaison Team regularly undertakes initiatives to attract employment/ project opportunities into the Business School. You can find information about vacancies and other openings on Careers in Business Online and on Business School noticeboards, as well as through the
Careers and Employability Centre vacancy database
Careers events and workshops
This is your chance to find out about employment opportunities, develop your skills and network with industry professionals. Our range of career management, personal development and employer events are a great opportunity to discover what’s open to you upon graduation – just sign up to the events to take part.
Using the Careers and Employability Centre
Postgraduate students in the Business School are very welcome to use the services provided by the Careers and Employability Centre such as online vacancy listings, employer presentations and fairs and accessing online careers information. You can use the Careers in Business team for individual appointments, CV checking, mock interviews and other job search-related activities.