- Number of A levels required:
- Typical offer:
- Required subjects and grades:
- All applicants must offer at least one of these preferred subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Geography, Human Biology, Maths, Physics, Psychology, Sport Studies/Physical Education or Statistics. GCSE grade C (or equivalent) in English, Maths and a Science.
Excluded A Levels: We do not accept Applied Science, Citizenship Studies, Communication and Culture, Critical Studies, Critical Thinking, General Studies, Global Perspectives, Moving Image Arts, Science in Society, Use of Maths and World Development.
Some offers of ABB will be made to those applicants with multiple A levels from the preferred list and an exceptional supporting statement.
BTEC: We consider students with a BTEC in a science-related discipline, with the following requirements:
- 18 units: Distinctions in all 18 units plus an A level at Grade B in any subject except those in the excluded A level list
- 12 units: Distinctions in all 12 units plus an A level at Grade A in any subject except those in the excluded A level list
- 6 units: Distinctions in all 6 units plus 2 A levels from the preferred list at Grade A in any subjects except those in the excluded A level list
- 18 units: Distinctions in all 18 units plus an A level at Grade B in a core science
In addition, all BTEC applicants must have a strong GCSE profile including minimum grade B in Mathematics, English and a Science.
Other qualifications are considered – Please contact the School's Student Recruitment Manager for advice on whether your particular qualifications, or combination of qualifications, will meet the entry requirements.
International Baccalaureate: minimum 32 points to include a science subject (Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Geography, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology). 5 points in each of SL English and Maths if not offered at GCSE or equivalent.
Please note that we have reviewed our policy on the IB Diploma for 2016 entry and our offers will now focus on performance in Higher Level subjects. For more information and details please read our 2016 IB Diploma requirements
Standard English language requirements apply
Learn more about international entry requirements
Depending on your chosen course of study, you may also be interested in the Birmingham Foundation Academy, a specially structured programme for international students whose qualifications are not accepted for direct entry to UK universities. Further details can be found on the foundation academy web pages.