Undergraduate entry requirements
To be considered by Birmingham, you'll need to meet the University’s general entry requirements as well as the specific entry requirements of your chosen programme.
Literacy and numeracy skills
We require literacy and numeracy skills which can normally be demonstrated if you have the following: GCSE English and GCSE mathematics (including IGCSEs), both grade 4 or above.
Some programmes may require a particular grade in one or both of these subjects. This will be noted on the course web pages in our course finder.
Applicants must normally also be 17 years old by 1 October of the year in which their programme starts.
For some programmes in medical and health sciences or where there is contact with vulnerable adults or children, a full Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required. You may also be required to sign a Code of Professional Conduct and meet Fitness to Practise requirements. Some programmes may also require certain immunisations and a health declaration.
Qualifications we accept
- Three GCE A levels (including International A Levels)
- The International Baccalaureate Diploma
- SQA Highers and Advanced Highers (many programmes will accept Highers without additional Advanced Highers)
- The Cambridge Pre-U (minimum three separate subjects)
- A mix of A levels and Cambridge Pre-U subjects (minimum three in total)
- The Irish Leaving Certificate Higher Level
- The European Baccalaureate
- Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (the grade required will be the same as from an A level and must be combined with 2 A levels.)
Other qualifications considered
Try our undergraduate course Offer Calculator!
Use our Offer Calculator to see if you are likely to receive an offer to study with us
Returning to study
We welcome applications from people who have been out of education for some time and who may not meet the standard programme entry requirements. We encourage such applicants to contact the relevant admissions tutor in the first instance to discuss the suitability of your qualifications and experience.