Welcome to the Lapworth Museum of Geology! Entry is free and there is no need to book before visiting. If you are looking to organise a group visit please contact the relevant person on our Teaching and Learning Page.
Monday to Friday - 10:00 till 17:00
Saturday and Sunday - 12:00 till 17:00
Things to remember for a safe visit
- We are encouraging the use of facemasks in the Museum at all times, unless you are exempt.
- We are encouraging visitors to maintain social distancing in the Museum (1 m +).
- Some hands-on interactive displays are currently unavailable.
• Please make use of the hand sanitisers provided at key spots throughout the Museum.
• We have a reduced retail offer in the Museum shop and purchases can only be made via card transactions.
• Unfortunately, refreshments are not available at the Museum.
• If you are displaying any COVID-19 symptoms, please do not visit.
• If you are unsure about anything during your visit, please ask one of our friendly members of staff for help.
The Lapworth Museum is easily accessible by a range of sustainable transport methods. We are a five minute walk from the University Station and on multiple cycle and bus routes. Please see the links below for details.
The Lapworth Museum is located within the Aston Webb A Block building just off the Ring Road South - the building is marked as R4 on the map.
On weekdays you are unable to park on the Univeristy of Birmingham Campus. The nearest car park is our multi-story car park, the North East Car Park. This is a pay and display car park (change only), and is a short 10 minute walk from the Museum (see link below or view the map on our new leaflet here).
During the weekend, parking is free of charge to all visitors on campus and all visitors will be allowed access to the University campus in order to park – you can often park right outside the door!
Should you be a visitor with a Blue Badge, please approach the University campus via our ring road (see our Edgbaston Campus Map above), inform the security staff of your needs and you should be allowed on site. There are a small number of blue badge spaces adjacent to the Museum.
Please note the museum and its staff are unable to reserve parking spaces for members of the public (blue badge holders or otherwise).
Food & Drink
The Lapworth Museum of Geology is currently not selling food and drink in the Museum Shop. There are a number of places where you can purchase food and drink on the University of Birmingham Campus: Food and Drink on Campus