We are excited to welcome you back to the Lapworth Museum of Geology. We have decided to maintain social distancing and other mitigation measures, including reduced capacity and encouraging face mask use (unless exempt) until otherwise announced, in accordance with industry best practice. Please take a few minutes to read the following information about booking tickets and enjoying your visit safely.
The Lapworth Museum of Geology is temporarily closed.
The Museum will be closed for scheduled maintenance work from Monday 5th of July until Thursday 29th July inclusive.
You will be able to book tickets to visit the Museum from Friday 30th of July onwards. Apologies for any inconvenience
New opening times
Temporary Closure - Monday July 5th to Monday July 26th (inclusive)
Monday to Friday - 10:00 till 16:30
Saturday and Sunday - 12:00 till 17:00
August Bank Holiday - Closed
Booking your tickets
You must book a ticket for a timed entry slot in advance of your visit. Tickets are free of charge and are released at least two weeks in advance.
For more information and to book your tickets visit our Eventbrite booking page here.
Things to remember for a safe visit
- We are encouraging the use of facemasks in the Museum at all times, unless you are exempt.
- We are encouraging visitors to maintain social distancing in the Museum (1 m +).
- Some hands-on interactive displays are currently unavailable.
• Please make use of the hand sanitisers provided at key spots throughout the Museum.
• We have a reduced retail offer in the Museum shop and purchases can only be made via card transactions.
• Unfortunately, refreshments are not available at the Museum.
• If you are displaying any COVID-19 symptoms, please do not visit.
• If you are unsure about anything during your visit, please ask one of our friendly members of staff for help.
The Lapworth Museum is easily accessible by a range of sustainable transport methods. We are a five minute walk from the University Station and on multiple cycle and bus routes. Please see the links below for details.
The Lapworth Museum is located within the Aston Webb A Block building just off the Ring Road South - the building is marked as R4 on the map.
On weekdays there is limited parking access at the Lapworth Museum of Geology. The nearest car park is our multi-story car park, the North East Car Park. This is a pay and display car park (change only), and is a short 10 minute walk from the Museum (see link below).
During the weekend, parking is free of charge to all visitors on campus and all visitors will be allowed access to the University campus in order to park – you can often park right outside the door!
Should you be a visitor with a Blue Badge, please approach the University campus via our ring road (see our Edgbaston Campus Map above), inform the security staff of your needs and you should be allowed on site. There are a small number of blue badge spaces adjacent to the Museum.
Please note the museum and its staff are unable to reserve parking spaces for members of the public (blue badge holders or otherwise).
Food & Drink
The Lapworth Museum of Geology is currently not selling food and drink in the Museum Shop. There are a number of places where you can purchase food and drink on the University of Birmingham Campus: Food and Drink on Campus