Gateway To Work Experience Bursary
- Level of study
- Any Undergraduate
- Subject area
- Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, Social Sciences
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- None. Open all year.
The Gateway To Work Experience Bursary 2022/23 provides financial support to Birmingham Scholars to undertake unpaid or low-paid work experience relevant to their future career.
The aim of the bursary is to assist Birmingham Scholars in improving their personal and professional development by allowing them to take up critical experiences they may otherwise not be able to afford. Awards are available for work experience opportunities taking place at any point during the academic year.
The bursary is open throughout the academic year and is available until all funding is allocated, therefore it is recommended to apply as early as possible.
Value of Award
The Bursary is designed to support students in covering the costs associated with unpaid or low-paid work experience, they are not designed to be a wage substitute.
Eligible students can apply for up to a maximum of £2500. The amount you apply for will depend on the individual circumstances of your proposed work experience up to the maximum amount. In the past bursaries have supported in covering expenses including:
- Living costs
- Utilities bills
- Disability support services
The Gateway To Work Experience Bursary is open exclusively to Birmingham Scholars that are under-graduate, home students and meet one of the following criteria:
- In receipt of a P2B (Pathways to Birmingham) or A2B (Access to Birmingham) offer
- A care leaver or care experienced
- Registered as disabled / in receipt of Disability Student Allowance
- Of black or Asian ethnicity*
*Applications are particularly encouraged from students of Asian Bangladesh, Asian Pakistan, Black Caribbean and Black African backgrounds who are underrepresented on UoB’s internship programme and bursary scheme.
How to Apply
To apply for the Bursary students will be required to submit one application form, available on the bursary website, which primarily asks for the following:
- Your personal details (e.g. name, ID number, email address, etc)
- Your work experience opportunity details (e.g. organisation name, location, etc)
- Summary of your work experience opportunity (max 50 words)
- An application question (max 400 words): How will the proposed work experience contribute towards your personal and professional development, as well as your future career aspirations?
- A budget outlining how much funding you will require
- As part of this budget it is vital that applicants undertake some research into the costs included to support in justifying the amount being requested
Please note that if you require £100 or less from the bursary, you will not need to answer the application question highlighted above in your form.