Graduate Route Visa

The Graduate route is an unsponsored route, meaning you do not need a job offer to apply for the route. You will be able to work flexibly, switch jobs and develop your career in the UK as required.

Home Office eligibility criteria states that a student must successfully complete a course at UK Bachelor degree level or above at a Higher Education provider which has a track record of compliance with its Home Office sponsor licence.  The University of Birmingham meets this criteria.

This Graduate Route visa application can only be made from within the UK and the student must hold a valid Student visa (previously known as Tier 4) to apply.

You can only apply for the Graduate Route visa once. Therefore, if you are considering further studies in the UK, you may wish to postpone applying for the Graduate Route visa until you have completed all your desired academic studies. Please note, this visa doesn't lead to settlement (permanent residency in the UK).

Students at the University will be able to view our FAQ's on the Graduate Route visa for further information.


Who can apply?

 To be eligible for this route you must meet the following requirements:

  • Hold a current valid Tier 4 (General) or Student visa at the date you submit your visa application;
  • To successfully complete a course which you were last granted a visa for to study;
  • Your course must be at UK Bachelor degree level or above at a Higher Education provider with a track record of Home Office student sponsor licence compliance; and
  • You have successfully completed your course in the UK - this is through receiving a notification email from the University:
  • If the course is 12 months or less the entire course must be completed in the UK;  OR
  • If the course is longer than 12 months you must have spent at least 12 months under your current permission as a student in the UK. For example if you are a University of Birmingham student studying a 3 year undergraduate programme at the Dubai campus and you decide to transfer your location and study at the Edgbaston campus then you must spend a minimum of 12 months studying in the UK on a student route visa.

When can you apply?

 You can only submit a visa application after you have successfully completed your course and you have been officially notified by email through the University.  If you make your visa application before successful completion of your course, it will be refused by UKVI.

You will need to make sure you meet the full visa eligiblity crtieria before you make an application.

Please note, you can only apply for the Graduate Route visa once.

See UKCISA for the full detailed advice which also contains a helpful webinar that you can view.