Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible to apply.
The candidate should be:
- A current University of Birmingham student in their final year of study; or
- A current University of Birmingham Student Route (previously known as Tier 4) visa holders; or
- Former students that have graduated from the University of Birmingham within five years.
- The person should be an early-stage entrepreneur and must not have previously established a business in the UK or had 2 years’ Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa (unless they are in their 1st year of Tier 1 GE).
In order to be granted a Start-up Visa the applicant must be proposing a new business idea that meets the following requirements:
- Innovation: The applicant must have a genuine, original business plan that meets new or existing market needs and/or creates a competitive advantage.
- Viability: The applicant must have, or is actively developing, the necessary skills, knowledge, and experience and market awareness to successfully run the business.
- Scalability: There is evidence of structured planning and of potential for job creation and growth into national markets.