We are delighted to celebrate some outstanding student achievements this year, both through academic excellence and extra-curricular endeavour.
At a drinks reception following the graduation ceremony on 7 July, it was our great pleasure to present a number of awards and prizes and here is a list of the worthy recipients:
CEPLER's second awards event, these awards are given to those students who have best embraced the variety of opportunities offered through the Centre to develop their practical skills and experience, confidence and employability.
- Outstanding Contribution to Mooting, kindly sponsored by No5 Chambers: awarded to our three committee leads who demonstrated equal dedication to the smooth running of the competitive mooting stages: Lorna Kenyon, Jenni Fuller and Shannon Breeze.
- Outstanding Contribution to Pro Bono, kindly sponsored by Mills & Reeve LLP: awarded to Beth Johnston in recognition of two years of tireless service in several demanding Pro Bono Group projects.
- Highest Achievement in Careers, kindly sponsored by Freeths: awarded to Ilana Davis for her enthusiasm and commitment in pursuit of careers activity.
- Highest Achievement in CEPLER Professional Development, kindly sponsored by Pinsents: awarded to Ridhima Pathak for achieving a landslide CPD score and demonstrating commitment beyond the curriculum that was unsurpassed.
- Highest Achieving Student in 'Regulation of the Legal Profession', kindly sponsored by Iain Miller, partner at Bevan Brittan LLP: awarded to William Copping for an essay which was described by the examiner as: "a particularly outstanding piece of work in terms of detailed critical engagement and maturity of writing style".
- CEPLER Award for Outstanding Achievement in Extra-Curricular Endeavour, kindly sponsored by Shakespeare Martineau: the highest CEPLER prize, awarded in recognition of unparalleled commitment and enthusiasm across the whole range of activities was presented this year to Laura Tulley.
- CEPLER Head of School Award, kindly sponsored by Professor Robert Lee: this award goes to the student who best represents the all-round university experience, combining exemplary academic performance and a thirst for experience. This year's recipient was Lorna Kenyon.
We also have a series of annual prizes awarded in recognition of academic achievement, or based on nominations from the wider Law School staff:
- Aitchison Memorial Prize - combining degree result, character and leadership qualities - was awarded to Lorna Kenyon.
- Beinart Memorial Prize for the Highest Mark in International Human Rights: awarded to Amani Perera.
- Irwin Mitchell Solicitors Prize for the Highest Mark in Legal Issues in Healthcare: awarded to Lena Tunbridge.
- Irwin Mitchell Solicitors Prize for the Highest Mark in Company Law: again, awarded to Lena Tunbridge.
- J F Gregg Memorial Prize - recognising the student with the highest first class degree achievement - was awarded to Ciara McBrien.
- Charles McDowell Prize for the Highest Achievement in the Equity & Trusts examination: awarded to Angelique Bedford.
- Lady Barber Prize for Mooting: awarded to Alexander Barbour, who was also the winner of the 2016 Camm Cup.
- Petit Bursary Prize - given for overall outstanding performance and Holdsworth membership - was awarded to William Copping.
- Sir Henry Barber Prize - awarded to the top five students for academic performance: awarded to Ciara McBrien, Lorna Kenyon, Hannah Gould, Laurel Fine, and Alexander Robinson.
- Shoosmiths Prize - for academic performance, combined with enthusiastic involvement in extra-curricular activity: awarded to Alexander Liptrot.
- Ince & Co Prize for the best mark in Law of Torts: awarded to Jasmine Lalli.
- Maudsley Prize for distinction in the Land Law examination: awarded to Miah Gordon.
- Oxford University Press Prize for the best mark in Criminal Law: awarded to Yoel Gordon.
- Slaughter & May Prize for the best mark in Law of Contract: awarded to Katharine Webster
- Smalley Baker Prize for the best mark in Jurisprudence as well as engaged contribution in class: awarded to Yee Tan.
Our heartfelt congratulations to all of this year's winners.