University of Birmingham students can continue to take advantage of work experience placements and study awards following the signing of a new agreement with Santander.
The University has extended its partnership with Santander Universities for another three years, with annual funding of £60,000 providing mobility awards for staff and students, and scholarships for postgraduate students from Latin America and the USA.
Santander has partnered with the University since 2011 – investing over £600,000 to date. Its support helps students to meet the cost of tuition fees, enabling international students to study at Birmingham, and provides home students with the opportunity to study overseas.
Students and staff benefit from a range of opportunities which include:
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarships for students to study abroad in Santander partner countries;
- Mobility Awards to enable students and staff to conduct research abroad;
- Bursaries for students to undertake professional work experience in Social Enterprises;
- Internship opportunities allowing Undergraduate and Postgraduates to do paid work experience with SMEs
- Supporting the University of Birmingham Formula Student Team
- A Digital Innovation Fund for projects enhancing the student/staff experience.
Santander’s support helps Birmingham students to gain work experience during their studies. More than 80 students have conducted placements with small and medium-sized businesses – allowing them to acquire enterprise skills and increase business ‘know-how’.
After signing the agreement, University of Birmingham Vice-Chancellor Professor Sir David Eastwood said: “The University of Birmingham is one of the top 100 universities in the world and Santander supports our global ambitions by providing mobility awards each year for our staff and students.
“In common with Santander, we are committed to preparing students for a successful and fulfilling life ahead. We strive to equip our students with the necessary knowledge, transferable skills, and confidence to go on to succeed in their chosen fields.
“Over the last decade Santander has become a valued partner to Higher Education and we are proud of what we have achieved together at Birmingham. We look forward to sharing and celebrating the successes of our student and staff communities in the years to come.”
Matt Hutnell, Director of Santander Universities UK said: “Santander is committed to supporting higher education as well as local communities across the UK. It’s been great to meet students and staff, and to see first-hand the real impact of our joint programmes.
“I’m delighted to be renewing our partnership agreement with University of Birmingham which will provide further support for a variety of activities including an internship scheme which is helping to improve the employability of young people in the region as well as helping local businesses access young talent.”
For more information and interview/photographic opportunities, please contact Tony Moran, International Communications Manager, University of Birmingham on +44 (0) 121 414 8254 or +44 (0)782 783 2312. For out-of-hours enquiries, please call +44 (0) 7789 921 165.
- The University of Birmingham is ranked amongst the world’s top 100 institutions, its work brings people from across the world to Birmingham, including researchers and teachers and more than 5,000 international students from over 150 countries.
- The Santander Universities programme has directed €1.5 billion towards Higher Education worldwide in the form of scholarships, travel grants, support to special projects, academic and non-academic awards. In the UK, the network began in 2007 and has now grown to 81 partner universities.
- Santander funds awards to outstanding students and projects, helps entrepreneurs, and gives the students the possibility to travel abroad to continue their studies. It is a global network, which exists to help provide students with the support they need to become tomorrow's leaders.