Dr Katarzyna Gurzawska, an Academic Clinical Lecturer in Oral Surgery within the School of Dentistry, was awarded the GSK-Mineralised Tissue Research Prize at the British Society for Oral and Dental Research Annual Scientific Meeting 2017.
The annual awards, hosted by the University of Plymouth in early September, saw around 225 delegated attend. Presented research ranged from dentistry in the community to ‘smart fillings’, new and potential lab-based therapies, nanotechnology, diet and behaviour and dental professionalism.
Dr Katarzyna Gurzawska was recognised for her research into mathematical, numerical and biochemical analysis using finite element methods of mandible after treatment with bone substitute materials and loading with implant-supported prostheses.
Highlights of the conference included:
- The Graham Embery Lecture delivered by Professor Mike Lewis from Cardiff University
- The keynote lecture from Professor Jonathan Grant from King’s College London
- The TC White Lecture presented by Dr Anwen Cope from Cardiff University
- The BDA Lecture jointly delivered by Peter Dyer and Stephen Skelton from the BDA
- The launch of the James Lind Priority Setting Partnership
- Symposia including OMIG, MINTIG and the methods symposium sponsored by the National Institute for Health Research Clinical Research Network