Students from across the globe are the first to graduate from innovative online MBA and MSc programmes at the University of Birmingham – marking a major change in the way people around the world can access Higher Education.
Developed with the support of Wiley Education Services, the initial portfolio included Online MBA, Online MSc International Business and Online Masters in Public Administration courses – all specifically designed to meet the challenges of teaching in a digital environment.
The graduations of ‘online’ students mark a significant milestone for Wiley Education Services, as the collaboration with the University of Birmingham was the first of its kind outside the United States.
Professor Robin Mason, University of Birmingham Pro-Vice-Chancellor (International), commented: “Congratulations to all our online graduates – they are at the forefront of digital learning and have benefited from the University of Birmingham’s teaching expertise through a programme allowing them more effectively to combine work and study.
“Our collaboration with Wiley Education Services has enabled us to deliver bespoke online learning programmes that we believe will change the way people access Higher Education.
“Employers and industry now see the benefits of learning being delivered online. With more flexible – and credible - modes of delivery available to them, I’m delighted that in this way, we can give more people the opportunity to develop and gain qualifications with the University of Birmingham.”
The three postgraduate qualifications were developed specifically to offer individuals seeking professional development the same quality learning experience expected from a full-time, campus-based course, but with the flexibility to learn online anywhere in the world.
“Studying online with the University of Birmingham exceeded all expectations. I was able to juggle work and study while also gaining valuable insight from peers around the world,” said an Online MSc International Business graduate.
Wiley Education Services will continue to work with the University to refine the online programs and support further development that propels their unique objectives.
The Online MBA was the first in the world to receive formal accreditation from the Association of MBAs (AMBA), who accredited Birmingham Business School’s distance learning MBA as a wholly online programme.
Previously, all AMBA accredited distance learning MBAs included a residential component, but the Birmingham programme is the first to be delivered completely online. Being wholly online, the programme makes it much easier for people around the globe to combine a busy professional life – and family life - with postgraduate study.
The online Masters of Science (MSc) in International Business is also delivered by Birmingham Business School, whilst the Masters in Public Administration (MPA) is overseen by the Institute of Local Government Studies (INLOGOV) - the University of Birmingham’s academic centre for research and teaching on local governance and strategic public management.
Accessible on computers and mobile devices, the University’s online learning platform allows for study with a prestigious academic institution while maintaining control over daily schedules in a way that goes beyond that of an on-campus degree programme. The courses are taught using live interactive tutorials, video lectures, case studies, webinars, interactive assignments, digital resources and peer-to-peer social interaction.
For more information, please contact Tony Moran, International Communications Manager, University of Birmingham on +44 (0) 121 414 8254 or +44 (0)782 783 2312, Penny Smith (UK) +44 (0) 1243 770448 or Josh Glickman (US) +1 201-748-6572 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The University of Birmingham is ranked amongst the world’s top 100 institutions, its work brings people from across the world to Birmingham, including researchers and teachers and more than 6,500 international students from over 150 countries.
- Birmingham Business School is a dynamic, internationally-focused school offering undergraduate and postgraduate programmes across the full range of business disciplines. The School’s academic staff are renowned for world-class research and excellence in teaching.
- The Institute of Local Government Studies (INLOGOV) is the leading UK centre for the study of local public service management, policy and governance. With over 40 years of experience working within local government and the public sector, the Institute of Local Government Studies creates the latest thinking for public servants.
- The University of Birmingham is already one of the largest providers of Distance and Blended learning programmes in the UK. It offers a broad range of post-qualification teacher training (through the School of Education) and economic development (through the International Development Department), as well as an innovative distance learning PhD programme across all areas of Arts and Law
- Wiley Education Services uniquely understands the process of designing and implementing innovative learning experiences and comprehensive solutions –whether that’s online, on-campus, or both – that address today’s higher education challenges. Through trusted collaborative relationships, we provide services, technology, insights, and content that support our education partners to achieve improved institutional performance and learners to achieve their goals. For more information go to edservices.wiley.com.
- Wiley, a global research and learning company, helps people and organizations develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed. Our online scientific, technical, medical, and scholarly journals, combined with our digital learning, assessment and certification solutions help universities, learned societies, businesses, governments and individuals increase the academic and professional impact of their work. For more than 210 years, we have delivered consistent performance to our stakeholders.