University of Birmingham features in national campaign to highlight value of university research
The University of Birmingham is featuring in a UK-wide campaign next week to highlight the value and importance of university research to our everyday lives.
The University of Birmingham will be highlighting its impact to the public. The event is one of a range of other activities taking place across the UK as part of Universities Week 2014, to promote and engage the public with the value and importance of university research.
Universities Week 2014 will be launched on Monday 9 June at the Natural History Museum in London where a week-long public event will showcase some of the best of UK university research. The event will feature 45 universities, including research stations, pop-up performances, debates and live research demonstrations, all covering a range of research themes.
Universities Week 2014 will be launched officially on Monday evening 9 June by the Universities and Science Minister David Willetts MP at the Natural History Museum.
Nicola Dandridge, Chief Executive of Universities UK, said: “The aim of Universities Week is to inspire the public about the world-leading research taking place in our universities.
“We hope the University of Birmingham's public lectures, exhibitions and other events being held during Universities Week, will inspire members of the public and give them an opportunity to learn something new about how universities are helping to solve some of the UK’s and the world’s biggest challenges.”
- During Universities Week, 9-15 June 2014, universities across the UK are inviting everyone to be inspired, get involved and discover the work that is taking place to improve the way we live our lives.
- Research teams from the participating universities will be delivering activities in the Museum's Darwin Centre each day from Monday 9 to Friday 13 June 2014. There will also be a special ‘LATE’ event on Wednesday 11 June from 18:00 to 22:00 to include the Central and North Hall.
- Universities Week 2014 is run by Universities UK, the representative body for all UK universities with Research Councils UK, the Higher Education Funding Council for England and the National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement.
- Regional media enquiries contact: please call +44 (0)7789 921165 or email the University of Birmingham Press Office.
- National media enquiries contact: Rosie or Cheryl on +44 (0)207 403 2230.
- A full list of activity and events taking place can be found on the Universities Week website.