Ceramic and Cement Systems

Course Type
Postgraduate, Module

Module overview

Ceramics represent an important material class used in dentistry with unique mechanical, chemical and optical properties. However, their use is varied and demanding with multiple processing stages and cementation or adhesion of the final prosthesis to tooth structure. This module will consider the various classes of ceramic systems from traditional feldspathic porcelain to pressable and milled materials, appropriate means of strengthening, and the use of polycrystalline ceramics with increased fracture toughness, aw well as their disadvantages. The module will also provide a detailed understanding of the structure-property relationships of cements and liners, either as a restorative material or for retention of laboratory processed dental prostheses, ranging from traditional zinc phosphate cements, to hydraulic silicates (for endodontics), ion-leachable glasses, and resin-based adhesives.


The module will be assessed by:

1) Poster design and preparation summarising and discussing data collected for the individual laboratory work. Appropriate rubric is provided on Canvas. The assessment will account for 40% of the total module mark and will be made up of a 20% mark for design and 20% for presentations.

*In case of online delivery only, students will perform ‘thought’ experiments based on the theory learned. We will provide appropriate raw data sets so students will still be able to analyse, interpret and discuss data. The assessment will comprise of a poster design (20%) and a presentation (20%) – Total 40%

** In case of online delivery only, students can either record their presentations or a podcast. If either is not feasible due to technical difficulties, then writing out the text that they wanted to say, can be accepted.

2) MCQ class quiz (20%)
*Rather than having an MCQ as part of the final exam, this can be sat in class as a canvas quiz. If this cannot be sat in class, then a time window will be allowed online.

3) a 2-hour examination (40%)
*If closed book exams are not possible, the exam will be an open book, (48hr to start, 2hr to complete once started), choosing 4 out of 6 short answer questions

An overall mark of 50% or above must be obtained to pass the module, with each individual assessment scoring not less than 40%.