The University processes a range of information about you. This includes, as appropriate:
- Your name and contact details and other personal details such as your date of birth, information about your marital status, next of kin, dependants and emergency contacts;
- Your application and information provided as part of the application process, for example, references;
- Your University employee number;
- Immigration and right to work status information (for example, visa details, passport details);
- Details relating to your current employment or engagement at the University including role title, line manager, campus, organisation, College, School, budget centre, role category and group, working hours, staff type, contract type, grade, the terms and conditions of your employment or engagement;
- Details of your schedule (days of work and working hours) and attendance and hours at work including time sheets for hourly paid staff;
- Details relating to any previous employment at the University;
- Details of your qualifications, skills, registrations, experience with previous employers (including references) and with the University;
- Information about your remuneration, including salary point, salary, pay history, pay slips and P60 information, annual review history and proposed and actual adjustments to pay;
- Tax status, including where relevant results of HMRC employment status check and tax code;
- Details of any interest in and connection with any intermediary through which your services are supplied;
- Entitlement to benefits including pensions;
- Information relating to optional benefits and associated deductions to salary including salary sacrifice;
- Correspondence and other information relating to access to staff support facilities and wellbeing services;
- Details of your bank account;
- Probation objectives and plans and outcomes;
- Data relating to you which is generated as part of the day-to-day activities you carry out as part of your University role, for example, meetings you attend, advice you give, correspondence (including emails you send and receive), your attendance on campus in some university buildings (e.g. where there is swipe in/out access, or sign in/out) etc
- Details of periods of leave taken by you, including holiday, sickness absence (and see below), family leave, medical appointments, sabbaticals and other types of leave and, and the reasons for the leave;
- Performance development review records including objectives, appraisal and development plans, any assessments of your performance, performance improvement plans and related correspondence;
- Training and development data including training plans, attendance and related dates, accreditations and certificates;
- Performance related awards and justifications;
- Promotions and internal appointments including applications, CV, academic and professional references, moderation reports, panel decision and outcomes;
- Length of service information and associated recognition (gifts);
- Health and safety related incidents and reports related to you;
- Workforce planning and organisational structure data related to individuals, including you, and their roles;
- Business cases relating to any personal market pay reviews and associated pay;
- Consultation information and related correspondence relating to any redundancy processes and restructures to which you may have been subject;
- Details of any disciplinary or grievance procedures in which you have been involved, including any warnings issued to you and related correspondence;
- Details relating to any declarations made by you about outside work interests or conflicts of interest;
- Details relating to any gifts and hospitality you may have received of your role;
- Car registration and insurance details and car parking data (if relevant);
- Correspondence relating to your resignations and other leaver processes;
- Your use of a University credit card use (where applicable);
- General information and responses relating to employee, worker or contractor and management queries and cases;
- Where applicable, details recorded by any University devices you use with GPS tracking facilities, such as iTrack;
- Data captured by the University’s CCTV systems;
- Clinical staff only - Clinical contract details, registration body number, status and information, honorary organisation, speciality and information shared between the honorary organisation and the University for the purpose of managing the contract of employment in accordance with the principle of joint working to integrate separate responsibilities.
Some of the data about you that we need to process is classed as ‘special category’ or sensitive personal data. These are:
- Information about your race or ethnicity, religious beliefs, philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation and political opinions;
- Trade union membership and associated salary deductions
- Information about your health, namely:
- Information regarding your health and medical conditions disclosed by you in the recruitment process or during your employment/engagement;
- Information regarding disabilities and associated reasonable adjustments;
- Vaccinations and other medical-related information, relevant to your post;
- Information regarding pregnancy and maternity;
- Details of any absences on sick leave;
- Where you leave employment and the reason for leaving is related to your health; and
- Information about a medical condition needed for pensions purposes and the records relating to that decision.
Criminal convictions:The University may hold and process data about criminal offences and convictions if it is appropriate given the nature of your role. Where appropriate, the University may have collected information about criminal convictions as part of the recruitment process or we may be notified of such information directly by you or a third party, such as the Police in the course of you working for us. We will use information about criminal convictions and offences in the following ways:
- To comply with employment and other laws;
- Consider suitability for employment or continued employment; or
- Consideration of safeguarding issues.
We will only use information relating to criminal convictions where the law allows us to do so and in line with our Data Protection Policy. Personal data relating to criminal convictions will be retained confidentially and securely and access to that data will be strictly controlled.
The University collects your personal information in a variety of ways. For example, data is collected through application forms, CVs or resumes; on-boarding forms, from your passport or other identity documents such as your driving licence, from forms completed by you at the start of or during employment or engagement (such as benefit nomination forms), from correspondence with you, or through interviews, meetings or other assessments.
In some cases, the University collects personal data about you from third parties, such as references supplied by former employers or academics or health monitoring services (for example, for radiation exposure).
Your personal data is held both electronically and in paper format and is stored in a range of different places, including in your personnel file, in the University's HR management systems, spreadsheets, health and safety record systems, local College and departmental management filing systems and in other IT systems (including the University’s email system).
In addition to the core employment/engagement related processes referenced above, information relating to your employment/engagement and role at the University is shared between the core HR system and other key business systems that support the running and administration of the University. These systems include:
- Finance systems;
- Research management and accounting systems;
- IT identity management;
- Library systems;
- Sport centre systems;
- Workforce planning systems;
- Timetabling systems and student administration systems;
- Rostering systems;
- Workplace access systems;
- Workload allocation system;
- University ID card system.
When using video conferencing applications such as Zoom or Microsoft Teams, your name, user name, email address, your computer’s IP address, MAC address and device name may be collected.