The History of Medicine plays an important part in the understanding of the progress and current dilemmas facing modern biomedical science and clinical practice today.
As a result the Unit was founded in order to achieve the following academic aims and objectives:
- Provide a stimulating and supportive environment for members of staff, undergraduate and postgraduate students and also to visiting scholars involved and interested in the history of medicine.
- Attract visiting scholars, particularly from overseas, to the University to study the history of medicine.
- Promote interdisciplinary research between professional historians, particularly in the College of Medical and Dental Sciences, as well as in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Support the staff of the Unit and the University in raising funds for research in the History of Medicine.
- Organise colloquia, conferences, informal workshops and regular meetings of the History of Medicine and Health Research Seminar.
- Act as consultants on the History of Medicine and medical achievements in the West Midlands to the Medical School, the University, other professional bodies and the general public.
- Provide teaching and postgraduate supervision in the History of Medicine to the College of Medical and Dental Sciences and the wider University.