Birmingham Business School is renowned for its research contributing to academic debates worldwide. As a research student at Birmingham Business School you’ll be working and be part of this community with internationally recognised authorities in their fields.
We select the best applicants to our research programmes. Successful applicants are expected to:
- Have a very good undergraduate degree (minimum of a 2:1, preferably a first class honours)
- Hold, or expect to achieve a good Masters degree (at merit level) in a Business or relevant subject
- Have references that attest to academic achievement and research potential that make them stand out above their peers. Academic prizes won within home institutions and/or internationally will be beneficial.
- In addition, applicants whose first language is not English must satisfy our language requirements of 7 IELTS with no less than 6.5 in any component.
To apply for a place to study you need to complete a University application form online. Before applying, please read our guidance.
Research degree programmes
Studying for a PhD at Birmingham Business School
Why undertake a doctoral dresearch degree at Birmingham Business school?
- The Business School and the University provide scholarships and bursaries for postgraduate research students.
- Each department within the Business School has its own priority research areas and specific projects; view all department priority research areas.
- Find out all about the different areas of research undertaken by academics at Birmingham Business School and the global reach of our work.
- Established in 2016, The Midlands Graduate School is an accredited Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Doctoral Training Partnership, with the first intake of students in October 2017. The DTP offers 17 different training pathways that span various social science disciplines; several postgraduate studentships will be awarded annually across the pathways and institutions; find out more about the DTP.
- Birmingham Business School is a research-led, multi-disciplinary, international business school.
Further opportunities for funding are sometimes available through collaboration with other institutions. The Birmingham Business School, Sustainable Financial Innovation Centre, and Siemens have partnered to offer the Siemens Mobility-Birmingham Business School Fully Funded PhD Scholarship. Applications are made online.
Latest research news from Birmingham Business School