Research Scholarships in Birmingham Business School
Birmingham Business School (BBS) is renowned for its research. With over 200 lecturing and research staff, internationally recognized as authorities in their fields, our research contributes to academic debates and has worldwide impact.
Birmingham Business School Doctoral Scholarships
The Business School is investing in support of new home and overseas doctoral research students - through full funding of fees and/or stipends. Outstanding applicants will be considered for already identified specific topics in the following research centres and departments:
The scholarships are available only to candidates of the highest academic ability who wish to study for a PhD at Birmingham Business School.
Value of Award
The scholarships include full funding fees and stipends for both home and overseas PhD students. The scholarships are available for three or four years depending upon whether the candidate is required to take the 1 year MA in Social Research Methods.
We anticipate that those to whom we offer funding:
- will have obtained either a first class or very strong upper second class undergraduate degree in social sciences or a closely-related subject;
- may also have obtained a relevant Masters’ degree, with the award of a good merit or distinction;
- will have formulated a strong research proposal demonstrating the potential to make an original contribution in their chosen topic.
How to Apply
The deadline for applications is 17 November 2019 (23:59 GMT).
Potential candidates for the Birmingham Business School Doctoral Scholarships must complete two application forms:
- University application for doctoral study. This is completed and submitted online.
- Birmingham Business School Scholarship application form. This must be downloaded and emailed to Professor Mark NK Saunders, Director of the Doctoral Programme (email@example.com) with the subject line: ‘Birmingham Business School Scholarships’.
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Birmingham Business School Doctoral Scholarships (College)
Birmingham Business School offers additional full-time and part-time PhD scholarships. Outstanding applicants will be considered for within the following departments:
Potential candidates for these scholarships must have an offer of a place to study for a PhD and apply by 17 November 2019. Find out more about how to apply for these
Please note, if you wish to apply for both School and ESRC funding, you must submit two separate applications.
ESRC Doctoral Training Partnership Doctoral Studentships
As a member of the Midlands Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP), Birmingham Business School welcomes applications for these studentships across the Economics and in Management and Business Studies and Finance pathways. Potential candidates for the ESRC DTP studentships must have an offer of a place to study for a PhD. if you wish to apply for ESRC funding, you must submit two separate applications:
- University application for doctoral study. This is completed and submitted online. You are also strongly recommended to read the guidelines on how to apply.
- ESRC application. This is managed by the ESRC Midlands Graduate School Doctoral Training Partnership. Please see the Midland Graduate School website for more details on how to apply.
ESRC studentships will cover your fees for 3 years full time (or 6 years part time), plus some research and training expenses. In addition, you will receive a stipend at ESRC rates unless you have a fees-only award (available to EU applicants). The ESRC awards require that you have completed a Masters in Social Research and you can apply for a 1+3 scholarship, which includes a Masters year, prior to commencing the PhD. The deadline for applications for ESRC funding is 22 January 2020.
Please remember, if you wish to apply for both School and ESRC funding, you must submit two separate applications.
Scholarships for international students
Full details of additional funding available from the University to international students can be found on the International fees and funding webpages.
Funding database search
To find out if you are eligible for any University of Birmingham scholarships or bursaries, please visit the Postgraduate funding database search.