The Master of Arts (Teaching Studies):
- is designed for those with an academic and professional background in teaching, learning and assessment in the school sector
- is for those who already hold 120 credits towards a Masters in this area of study
- involves completion of a 60 credit dissertation of 15,000 words, prepared over the course of an academic year and submitted in the following September
- is supported by a small number of taught sessions for Masters-level learners who may have been away from research for a while (via blended learning with distance-taught and some campus sessions)
- is supported by each student having individualised supervisory tuition with face to face tutorials which may be carried out by a virtual platform
You must hold 120 credits towards Masters Study.
- Where these credits are all from the University of Birmingham at least 90 credits must be at Level M and a maximum of 30 can be at Level H.
- Where these credits are all from another institution, if they are in the form of a single postgraduate award (a PGDipEd/ PGDE) where that award is deemed to be a Masters level award or 120 credits, at least 90 credits must be at Level M and a maximum of 30 can be at Level H.
- Where these credits are all or partly from another institution, if they are not in the form of a single postgraduate award (a PGDipEd/ PGDE) all 120 credits must be at Level M
You must receive a satisfactory reference from an academic and/ or professional person who can comment on your academic learning and/ or professional practice in learning and teaching.
You will need to provide a personal statement that clearly explains a rationale for wanting to complete an MA where learning and teaching is the focus.
You will need to provide evidence (via your previous qualification(s), personal statement and/ or reference) that earlier study contributing the 120 credits (above) was in an area relevant to learning and teaching practice.
The tuition fee will be £3,167 for Home students and £6,480 for international (2021-2022). Find out about the different ways you can pay for the MA Teaching studies.
This is an opportunity to develop your understanding of educational issues based on practical experience. Studying on this course can significantly enhance your career prospects as well as support your professional development.
The deadline for applications TBC
Apply for the MA Teaching Studies
For more details please contact: