Testimony in Practice
To celebrate the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, Centrala Space presents ‘Testimony in practice’ exhibition, resulting from a partnership with the University of Birmingham.
Two artists from different backgrounds, Emma Lockey —a set designer based in Birmingham and Maciek Baczyk—a multimedia artist, co-founder of kinoManual duo, working and living in Wroclaw, Poland are telling an engaging story created from multiple perspectives, memories of life under a totalitarian regime and the system change that followed. They were inspired by family anecdotes, recollections and flashbacks that point out the importance of the year 1989 and the revolutions leading to the fall of the Iron Curtain.
The exhibition asks questions about the implications of the system change in Central and Eastern Europe. Can we learn anything valuable from the experiences of 1989, living in 2019 in Western Europe?
- 06/09/19 - 18.00 - 21.00 – Exhibition opening
- 21/09/19 - 10.30 - 17.30 – ‘Creating the Self: Youth Artist Workshop’ at Centrala Gallery
- 04/10/19 - 20.00 - External projection in Minerva Works and post-soviet DJ set by Maciej Baczyk, aka DJ Pomnik. The event is a part of Birmingham Weekender in Digbeth programme
- 4.11/10/19 - 19.00-21.00–External projection by Maciek Baczyk on the Old Joe Clock Tower. The projection is a part of Green Heart Festival programme by University of Birmingham
- 17/11/19 - 13.00PM - 18.00 – ‘Youth Artists Workshop’ at Romanian Cultural Institute
Join the conversation on social media