HSMC is one of the foremost UK centres of research, education, and development for health and social care organisations.
Founded in 1972, HSMC provides management and leadership education for local, national, and international practitioners, policy makers, and students. Its research sets the agenda for policy and practice in the areas of workforce development, system innovation, and improving care services.
Our Mission is to achieve the following:
- To support the health and care workforce with leadership and management knowledge and skills
- To critically engage with innovation concepts, organisation, and technology to support improvement
- To promote informed decision-making for planning, design, and implementation of change
- To build collaboration across professional, organisational, and system boundaries
- To nurture environments that care with patients, users, and communities
- To be global and local in our approach
Our approach is informed by the following Values:
- Inclusion: to promote care environments where voices are heard and responded to
- Equity: to proactively surface and challenge disadvantage and strive to improve health and wellbeing for all
- Quality: to promote care that is safe for patients, communities, and staff
- Compassion: to embody cultures of support and learning
- Sustainability: to advocate strategies of care that provide social, economic, and environmental value
HSMC draw on a range of approaches to support, develop, and improve health and care settings.
- We have expertise in implementation science by providing in depth understanding of how innovations work, for whom, and in what circumstances.
- We promote individual and organisational development approaches rooted in action learning to engage with problems and challenges.
- We adopt co-production with collaborative ways of working between providers and users of services to reach collective outcomes.
- We design rapid evaluation approaches that are both timely and systematic within time and resource constraints
- We employ evidence synthesis to bring together information and data to identify gaps in knowledge, establish best-practice guidance, or help inform policymakers and practitioners.
HSMC forms part of the School of Social Policy and the College of Social Sciences in the University of Birmingham.
HSMC are supporting the UoB 2030 strategy with a Research, Education, Engagement, and Impact agenda that makes a positive difference for policy, people, and communities both locally and globally.
Knowledge and Evidence Service (KES)
The HSMC Knowledge & Evidence Service (KES) is a specialist information provider which houses a unique collection of books, journals and electronic material on the non-clinical aspects of health care, including subject areas such as health management, commissioning, leadership, social care and health policy
The services provided by KES include; reference and enquiries, lending, literature searching, current awareness, and user education as well as a range of services supporting trends in both distance and e-learning.
A fully equipped IT resource room containing 12 PCs for private study, including one designated for disabled use, is also available.
More information about the Knowledge & Evidence Service
Health Services Management Centre (HSMC)
University of Birmingham
40 Edgbaston Park Road
Tel: +44(0)121 414 2260
Maps and directions
Park house is located in the Green Zone on Edgbaston Park Road and is building G19.
Map of the Edgbaston Campus (PDF format)