A male student sitting talking to someone

Disability and dyslexia support

The University of Birmingham strives to be an inclusive learning community. Whatever your disability, mental health or learning support needs, we’re here to help ensure that you can access appropriate support to take advantage of the university experience.

A disabled person as defined by law is someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. This may include students with a:

  • Specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or dyscalculia
  • Mental health condition
  • Sensory Impairment
  • Mobility impairment
  • Long term health condition
  • Other unseen condition

Why should I tell the University I have a disability?

We want to make sure that all our students get the most from university life. By telling tell us about your disability as early as possible, we can identify any support that you might need, including any financial support you may be entitled to.

Undergraduate applicants can choose to disclose via UCAS application form. Choosing to disclose a disability on your UCAS application will not be considered by the University as part of the selection process. Your application will be assessed on its academic merit alone. Students who choose to disclose via UCAS will be contacted and invited to register with the Student Disability Service. We can then start to discuss what support or adjustments you think you will need.

Students (including those who may not have disclosed via UCAS) can disclose a disability directly to students support services at any time prior to or during your studies.

Disabled Students' Allowance

Disabled students may be eligible for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) which can help provide funding for any equipment, software, equipment or support you may need or additional study related costs you may incur as a result of your disability.

Contact the Student Disability Service

You can search our knowledge base or make an online enquiry on our Student Help website

You can contact the Student Disability Service via the Aston Webb Student Hub.

Confidentiality and Data Protection

Details of your disability will be kept confidential except where you have given written consent permitting us to disclose it. This consent will remain in force during your registration at the University unless you notify the University otherwise. All information supplied regarding your disability will be stored electronically and/or as paper records and will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. This information will be retained by the University after your registration has ceased in accordance with the University’s records management procedures, and then destroyed in a secure manner.