Student Mentor Scheme
Our Student Mentors are a team of current students trained to offer you help and support while you live in University accommodation. The team are here to help you as soon as you receive your accommodation offer and throughout the rest of your year in halls.
Talk to us for information, guidance and support in a range of areas including:
- Advice on student life, settling into university, homesickness, personal difficulties and your general wellbeing
- Getting on with your flatmates, flat disputes, accommodation and living with others
- Exam stress, extenuating circumstances, transitioning into studying at university and other academic queries
- Budgeting, finding part-time work and other finance-related questions
- Advice on moving into the community (e.g. Selly Oak), looking for housing and finding housemates
There’s no problem too big or too small!
Talk to us
Student Mentors can also offer 1-to-1 support to help you find your feet or work through any issues you might be experiencing. This support can be a one-off or on a more regular basis – whatever works for you. If you feel like you’d benefit from this support please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events and activities
The scheme also runs a range of events and activities throughout the year to help you when you need it. This includes a timetable of Welcome Week activity, campaigns to help you move into the private housing, events for you to de-stress around the exam period and activities to share personal safety advice.
Contacting the Student Mentor Scheme
To access the service you can phone, email or drop in to the Mentor Office based in The Vale Hub, next to The Duck and Scholar in Shackleton.
The office is open Monday to Friday, 16:00 to 20:00 during term time.
If you need support outside these hours, please contact your accommodation reception for assistance.
Telephone: +44 (0)121 415 8568