My name’s Lucy and I’m doing an English Literature PhD in Queer Romance Novels. I’m new to both the University and the city of Birmingham but if you want an honest, if a slightly awkward view of PhD life, then my Instagram is the place. I’m also happy to answer any questions people have about student— particularly postgraduate— life at the University of Birmingham!
Get to know Lucy
- In 10 years I want to be… working remotely somewhere in the world with at least one dog.
- Every uni student needs... a good pair of headphones to drone out the background noise when studying.
- My best piece of advice for students is… to look after yourself both mentally and physically. PhDs are stressful and hard so always remember to take time for yourself.
- My favourite thing about Birmingham is… all the art galleries and music venues.
- Best study space on campus is… the PGR suite in the library; the room with the sink and fridge is my favourite.
- When not studying you’ll find me… having coffee with friends, even though I don’t drink coffee. I just love hanging out in a café.
- When I was little I wanted to be… a vet, or to run an animal rescue centre.
- Best budget friendly meal… the Mexican fiesta at Bratby. It’s huge so can be shared with 3/4 people!
Best place in the city for going out is… the Gay Village, The Fox in particular is great.