Funding Advice and Support

When you study at the University we want to make sure that you do not face financial hardship. The University offers a range of financial support and guidance for you while you are studying here. 

There are a number of services in the University that offer financial support and advice, from debt management to paying your tuition and accommodation fees.

Financial support available at the University

Funding, Graduation and Awards provides information and advice about financial support available for students. The service includes 1-2-1 virtual funding advice appointments for students who need to discuss a particular funding issue with a member of the team. Prior to booking a session it is highly recommended that you review the information on our current financial support web pages.

What we do

  • We provide information about a range of government grants, student loans and other allowances
  • We administer a range of centrally managed bursaries, scholarships and prizes
  • We also assess hardship fund applications (Student Support Fund)

Contact us

Payment of your tuition fees

Accounts Receivable monitors and collects all your tuition and accommodation payments.

What we do

  • We encourage you to pay and raise payment queries online
  • We offer a variety of payment options
  • We ensure fees are collected within timescales prescribed by University regulations

Contact us

Personal financial advice and representation

Guild Advice offers free, impartial and confidential information, advice and representation on a full range of student issues including finance. Guild Advice was previously called the Advice and Representation Centre (ARC).

What we do

  • Staff on the Guild Advice helpdesk act as a first port of call for all students seeking advice and guidance
  • We signpost students towards the best help in each individual case
  • We help you to get the best out of your time at the University

Contact us

International students

The International Student Team (IST) provides support and advice - including financial - to international students.

What we do 

  • We give details on opening a bank account and typical UK living expenses
  • We provide information on the sources of finance available
  • We give advice if you are experiencing financial difficulties
  • We provide guidance on immigration regulations and visa restrictions on working in the UK

Contact us

Accommodation fees

LIVING offer safe and informal student accommodation to suit your budget.

What we do

  • We provide details on University owned accommodation and current fees
  • We will answer your queries regarding residence fees and accommodation meal plans
  • We will clarify any points regarding your University accommodation contract

Contact us

General advice and enquiries

The Student Information Team (SIT), based in the Aston Webb Student Hub, provides front-of-house support for all students at the University; you can browse our knowledgebase for answers to the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

What we do

  • We act as an interface for a wide range of enquiries
  • We take payments for replacement ID cards, discipline fees, proof of study letters and thesis re-submission fees

Contact us

Advice from external organisations

Student Finance England

The Money Advice Service

Research Councils UK

UKCISA - for international students

NASMA - National Association of Student Money Advisors (student section)

Bank accounts survey by Save the Student