This is a dedicated service for undergraduate and postgraduate students in the College of Arts and Law, developed in response to student feedback.
The service will aid your transition from sixth form to University writing, or back into academia after time away, and will continue to support you as you develop as an academic writer throughout your university career.
Feedback from a student: "I found the service extremely helpful. I left feeling like all my questions had been answered and that I had been given valuable advice. The tutor was very friendly, and extremely willing to help and give their time. I will be using the service again"
Areas of support include:
- Producing different types of writing - from your first essay to your final dissertation
- Organising your ideas and structuring an argument
- Referencing what you read and avoiding plagiarism
- Being clear and coherent, precise and concise
- Editing your work for academic style and linguistic accuracy
Advice and support is provided through:
- 1-1 tutorials with a professional academic writing advisor
- Feedback from the professional academic writing advisor on pieces of work via email
- Small group workshops and advice sessions run by postgraduate learning mentors
- On-line activities and exercises designed to develop your academic writing skills
Feedback from an academic: "Specialist writing advice is an invaluable resource. Teaching this properly is a skill in itself, and not something that most academics are trained in or could do with any effectiveness. Full-time permanent advisors with specialist training, skills and qualifications in this field are pretty much essential these days"
To contact the Academic Writing Advisor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.