- Welcome, induction and reinduction – working closely with academic colleagues to support student induction and transition to life at the University of Birmingham.
- Student community – running cultural, intellectual and social activities, working with student societies and organising student conferences and exhibitions. Activity may be directed at students and their peers or with the intention of fostering a nurturing, beneficial staff-student community.
- Student voice – working closely with Staff-Student Forums, meeting with groups of undergraduate students and with academic staff about comments and suggestions and feeding back to students about how their comments have been acted upon. Promotion of focus groups (local and university-wide) and student survey opportunities.
- Communications – keeping students informed with regard to what is happening in Departments and Schools. This may be via newsletters, social media, digital screens, Canvas announcements, posters and displays.
- Academic enrichment – activity or resources alongside programmes of study which enhance and support the student experience. Examples include the the Bank of Assessed Work and the Cultural Calendar.
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity – ensuring that the College is a welcoming and inclusive place where all students feel like they belong and can thrive. Activity might include working with a cross-cohort group (e.g. parents or commuter students) or by student identity (e.g. BAME, LGBTQ+), at programme level or in support of wider movements such as decolonising the curriculum and academia.
There are five school-based Student Experience Officers in the College of Arts and Law. Their responsibilities vary slightly from school to school, but their broad role is to enhance the undergraduate and postgraduate taught student experience and academic engagement working in close collaboration with colleagues. The Student Experience Officers are a visible and friendly presence for students in each school. The Postgraduate Student Experience Officer works on over-arching projects and initiatives at College level for both postgraduate taught and postgraduate research students.