- The Policy and Quality Framework sets out the University’s internal mechanisms for assuring the quality of its academic provision for all students. It includes information about the bodies involved in programme approval and review.
- The Educational Strategy (PDF - 17KB) sets out how the University aims to achieve its strategic goal of providing students with a distinctive, high quality experience.
- The Access and Participation Plan defines the University's commitment to widening participation and lists our progress objectives in supporting key underrepresented groups in higher education.
The University offers a range of services to business, whether they are large, multinational corporations or small businesses (SMEs). Examples of services on offer include licensing and intellectual property, consultancy, Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs) and student internships and graduate recruitment.
The University has an award winning team of professionals who unite academia and business in bespoke and transformative collaborations. Active since 2014, the team has strengthened the relationship between industry and our world leading researchers. We have Business Engagement Partners focusing on everything from clinical trials and advanced manufacturing, through to business consultancy and cyber security.
We are committed to preparing students for the challenging economic landscape and creating graduates who will enrich business and industry. We offer a range of opportunities for businesses to promote their graduate and undergraduate vacancies, meet with our highly skilled students and share their expertise.
- International collaborations
The University is proud of its extensive links with universities and other institutions throughout the world. Our collaborations take an array of different forms, ranging from student exchange and teaching partnerships to joint research on global issues. Through our extensive network of international partnerships we offer opportunities for collaboration on many levels including supporting universities, governments and companies in the development of their staff and providing international experiences for students and staff. Our academic staff research together with colleagues from every continent to address wide-ranging issues such as ensuring future energy demands can be met or to address global poverty.
The University has a long tradition of working in partnership with organizations in the public and private sector, for both collaborative research and the development and delivery of learning programmes. Recent examples include the NHS Leadership Academy Programmes, the Birmingham Health Partners, and the High Temperature Research Centre (HTRC).
In 2016 London Economics calculated the economic impact of the University on the city of Birmingham and the West Midlands region in 2014–15 (following a similar economic impact study in 2011–12). The study shows that the University genereates £3.5bn every year to the economy and supports 15,545 jobs in the West Midlands region, with almost one in 50 jobs in Birmingham depending upon the University.
- The Office for Students (OfS) is a non-departmental public body of the Department for Education, acting as the independent regulator and competition authority for the higher education sector in England.
- The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) checks how UK universities and colleges maintain the standard of their higher education provision. It reports on how they meet their responsibilities, identifies good practice and makes recommendations for improvement. The QAA institutional reports for the University of Birmingham can be found on their website.
- The University’s commitment to equal opportunities is enshrined it its Charter (PDF - 98KB).
- The University’s Fairness and Diversity Policy, the University Equality Scheme 2011-2015, the Harassment and Bullying Policy, and information about initiatives to promote fairness and inclusivity at the University are available on our Intranet.
- Further information including the annual Equality Information Report is available on our Equality and Diversity pages.