Translations for supporting documents


Any qualification or document that is not originally in English or Welsh will need a translation to requirements set by the UK Border Agency (UKBA).

Translation requirements

The UKBA requires a fully-certified original translation for each document you provide that is not in English or Welsh. The translation must:

  • be made by a professional translator or translation company
  • include details of the translator or translation company credentials
  • include confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • include the translator/translation company’s contact details
  • include the date
  • include the translator’s original signature and full name or the signature and full name of an authorised official of the translation company

If your translation does not meet all the requirements, even if it is just one point, then you must have a new translation made. Your visa application can be refused if the translation does not meet the requirements.

Using a translation provided by your school or university

Your school or university may have given you a translation of your qualifications. To use it for your visa application, it must meet the requirements above. Otherwise, you will need to have another translation made.