Health and Wellbeing

We are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive living environment, where equality is promoted and diversity is valued. If you have any specific accommodation needs, please get in touch.

Students with disabilities and other health and support requirements


Disability support is available if you’re living with one or more disabilities. That might be:

  • Dyslexia or another Specific Learning Difficulty
  • Long-term health condition (12 months or more) such as diabetes
  • Mental health condition such as depression, anxiety or schizophrenia
  • Physical or sensory impairment
  • Autism Spectrum condition, including Asperger’s Syndrome


If you have a disability, health need or support-related accommodation requirement, let us know – even if Birmingham is your insurance choice.

It means we can aim to meet any accommodation requirements you have, and make sure you get access to extra funding or other support as soon as possible.


Step 1

Contact Disability Services at

Step 2

Tell us your requirements when you apply for accommodation online at

Frequently Asked Questions

What funding support is available to students in University Accommodation?

As a student living in University Accommodation, you may be eligible to have the difference in costs covered, pending an assessment from Disability Services, based on your individual needs.

Should you leave the accommodation prior to the end of your contract, you may be liable for a month in lieu OR for the remaining overall cost, and you would forgo any further University contribution payments.

I would like to live in Partner Accommodation. Is funding still available to me?

If you make a preferred choice to live in partner accommodation, you may be eligible to have the difference in costs covered, pending an assessment from Disability Services, based on your individual needs.  

Should you leave the accommodation prior to the end of your contract, you would then be liable for the overall cost, and you would forgo any further University contribution payments.

What type of accommodation adaptations could be available to me?

We endeavour to provide a wide range of support, all determined on a case by case basis upon registration with Disability Services and filling out the ‘Additional Requirements’ section of your accommodation application form.

Adaptations and types of support in the past have included:

  • Prioritisation for en-suite, self-catered, close to campus or ground floor rooms
  • Mini fridge in your room for personal medication and/or specialist food
  • Visual alarm and doorbells for Deaf or Hard of Hearing students
  • Physical adaptations, such as power assisted doors

Can I visit the accommodation before I move in?

Aside from our Accommodation Open Day and University Open Days, where we have lots of bedrooms open, you can also visit us for a ‘Taster Stay’.

Taster stays let you spend a few hours or stay overnight in accommodation during the summer, to help you see how it feels. Contact Living for more information.

Students with allergies

This is an allergy-aware university. If you have one or more allergies, you’ll find support and advice here, from how to tell people to simple tips on sharing a kitchen safely. If you have specific requirements for your accommodation, let the accommodation team know.

More about student life with an allergy

Student Mentor Scheme

The Guild of Students’ Student Mentor Scheme is a team of current students who work independently to the University; offering free and confidential advice to students living in university accommodation. They are available to support you throughout your time in halls and also host a number of events across the year.

The Student Mentors offer support in lots of areas – here’s a few examples;  

  • Settling into university life: getting to know campus, adjusting to life in Birmingham, homesickness or advice based on their experience of university life.
  • General wellbeing: support if you’re experiencing personal difficulties, guidance on keeping yourself safe, providing advice if you’re worried about a friend or flatmate.
  • Living with others: getting on with your new flatmates, flat visits and mediations if you experience any difficulties and support with moving into the private sector.
  • Your academic studies: finding your lecture rooms, course difficulties, getting to know the library, study and revision support, and managing exam stress.
  • Financial queries: looking for part time work, budgeting and general money concerns.

There’s no problem too big or too small!

The Scheme also hosts a variety of events and services throughout the academic year, including: wellbeing and social events, confidential 1-2-1 drop-in sessions and mediation to help you work through any accommodation issues.

You will also receive useful information to help you tackle important student issues, including: personal safety, house hunting and extenuating circumstances.

Find out more about the Student Mentors here:

Student Help

Student Help provides a wide range of support packages for those who need it. More information about these services can be found on their intranet pages.

Counselling Service

Student Help provides short-term professional, confidential counselling – face-to-face and online – for students who are experiencing emotional or psychological problems whilst at university and run group workshops on topics such as Eating Issues, Bereavement, LGBT Support, and others.

Disability and Learning Support Teams

Experienced staff offer a wide range of specialist advice and support to students with physical and mental health disabilities, specific learning difficulties and other conditions. Student Help works with students to develop their skills for independent and effective learning.

Wellbeing Service

Student Help use of a range of interventions including one to one support, workshops, and online resources, and offer a practical approach to coping with common issues faced by students, for example: stress and anxiety management, confidence building, and time/task management.

Student Services Support Team

Student Help acts as the first point of contact for students disclosing to the University with specific needs, e.g. disability, specific learning difficulties (e.g. Dyslexia) or mental health conditions. They help students to access emotional support when faced with unexpected circumstances and signposting to relevant services.

 Support whilst living in University Accommodation

Customer Service Managers

What’s important to you, is important to us.

Every site at our University Owned accommodation villages has a Customer Service Manager. They are there to make sure you’re getting the best possible experience whilst living in student accommodation, and can support you to manage any difficult challenges you might be experiencing. These challenges can include maintenance issues, wellbeing & support, flatmate trouble, noise complaints, or anything else that isn’t quite what you expected.

You can get in touch with your Customer Service Manager by contacting your village reception:

The Vale Village

Selly Oak Village

Pritchatts Park Village

Customer Service Managers

Support whilst living in Partner Accommodation

Site Reception & Managers

Each accommodation site has staff available to support and advise students. Accommodation sites have 24 hour security in place and also have their own dedicated reception service to enable students to report issues and access support 24 hours a day. 

If you have concerns such as noisiness, flatmate issues or just generally feeling like you're not getting everything out of your accommodation experience, we recommend you speak to your site reception.