We welcome all visitors to the Cadbury Research Library and look forward to assisting you with your research.
If you are a University of Birmingham student or staff member, you do not need to book. Simply arrive during our opening hours (see below) and bring your current UoB ID card.
If you are external to the University of Birmingham, please see booking details below.
How to make a booking if you wish to visit
- Requests for appointments to be made at least one week in advance.
- Email email@example.com to book.
- State your first and second choice dates (see below for our opening hours).
- Specify what you’d like to view when you make your booking request. Up to six archive boxes or ten printed books can be pre-ordered. If you are unsure about the quantity of material you are requesting, list your items in order of priority and the first six boxes will be fetched initially for you. Additional material can be ordered on the day of your visit.
- You will need to bring official identification when you visit confirming your name, address and signature.
University of Birmingham staff and students are not required to pre-book, but if you would like to, please book as outlined above.
Our searchroom is open Monday to Friday 10.00 to 17.00, with lunch closure 13.00 to 13.30.
Last request for ordering archives/rare books 16.00.
Outside of these hours, staff are supporting the research community by operating a virtual reading room; hosting in-person groups and teaching sessions; and running an enquiry and reprographics service.
We are closed on Bank Holidays and University of Birmingham closed days.
On Monday 23rd October 2023, the searchroom will be open 9am-3pm and not closed over lunch.
We also provide
Taking copies of material in the reading room
You are welcome to bring a hand-held camera without a tripod, or a mobile phone to take images of material for personal use (subject to copyright). If images are required for anything other than personal use, please contact the Cadbury Research Library Imaging Service.
If material you are consulting is on microfilm or online, you are welcome to copy pages relevant to your research onto your own memory stick.
Teaching at the University of Birmingham
If you would like to discuss options for delivering teaching at the University of Birmingham using our collections, please email us.
- The Cadbury Research Library is located on the Edgbaston campus at the University of Birmingham.
- Situated on the Lower Ground Floor of Muirhead Tower, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT. R21 on the campus map (pdf).
- Download our interactive Campus Map app on iOS and Android devices.
- Parking is very limited on campus so travelling by public transport is recommended. The University train station and bus stops are a 10-minute walk from the Cadbury Research Library.
- Accessible route from the University clocktower.
- If you use the what3words app: deeply.chair.helps