Computer Science at Birmingham
The School of Computer Science is one of the most prestigious computing departments in the UK. As well as valuing academic excellence, we pride ourselves on providing a supporting and collegiate atmosphere for learning and personal development. This is demonstrated by the excellent relations between staff and students, and students across the years.
Here are just a few reasons we think studying Computer Science at Birmingham is the right choice for you:
- We are ranked 8th in the UK according to both The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018, and The Guardian University Guide 2018.
- 94% of our students are in graduate employment, or further study, six months after studying with us. (Destination of Leavers from Higher Education 2015/16)
- Our students have access to specialist labs for robotics, computer security, medical image analysis and human-computer interaction.
- Our Computer Science Society (CSS) organises various social and professional events each year. These range from hackathons, industry presentations, conferences and workshops to the CSS BBQ, Summer Ball and many more.
- 91% of our final year students expressed overall satisfied with their course – NSS 2017.
Miruna has created a vlog about life as a Computer Science student at the University of Birmingham:
Excellent industry links and career prospects
Our graduates are in high demand in industry and academia. Aside from the University Careers Service, the School of Computer Science has a dedicated Careers and Placements Team, who organise regular Careers and Recruitment Fairs for our students. Top national and international companies including IBM, Accenture, Apple,Credit Suisse, Siemens, European Space Agency, HP, Microsoft, Rolls Royce and Google come onto campus to meet our students and offer excellent placement and graduate opportunities. These companies also run networking and social events for our School, which have included hackathons, security challenges, the IBM Mock Assessment Centre and the ServiceNow Bootcamp.
There are a huge range of industries and areas that our students can choose from when it comes to future prospects. From app developing and programming, to financial computing, cyber security and human computer interaction, the field of Computer Science is vast and the opportunities are broad.
Find out more on our employability webpage.
Inspirational teaching and support
At Birmingham we believe in engaging teaching and learning. In addition to traditional lectures and exercise classes, you will have projects, group work and problem solving sessions and regular meetings with your tutor. We have excellent student support facilities including personal tutors, a dedicated welfare team, staff-specific office hours, mentoring schemes and our Department is open 24/7, giving exclusive building access to our students.
Social atmosphere and engaged students
The student-led Computer Science Society runs many social and networking events throughout the academic year for students. You’ll be sure to find something that interests you – events include BrumHack and various UK hackathons, Women in Technology event, Bletchley Park trip, a conference trip to Brussels, coding nights, speaker events, quiz nights, LAN parties, and various sports events.
One of our current students Tsani, a third year student studying Computer Science here at Birmingham, took over our Instagram feed for two weeks. Visit our storify to find out what he got up too. We also have a Facebook group for applicants where you can find out more about what it's like to study Computer Science at Birmingham. If you haven't already joined, why not join us now?