Career opportunities: Online Master of Public Administration
Upskill in a changing world
To keep pace with new technology and increasing demand for more sophisticated services, public service has changed. For professionals keen to upskill and stay ahead in this evolving environment, this Online MPA provides the necessary practical, contemporary content to help you better serve your local communities.
For those willing to develop the latest skills and expertise, a number of diverse MPA careers are available, from policy management and town planning to corporate services and change management. Underpinned by the latest research, academic insights and practice-based learning, this programme will help you improve your relevance, be it for the public sector, government or an external agency.
Build your future
We understand how important it is to focus on your professional future during your time with us. We aim to enable and inspire students to maximise their potential, grow intellectually and gain the skills, understanding and attributes that are highly sought after by employers, giving you excellent future prospects in a competitive employment market.
Previous graduates on this programme have embarked on MPA careers in local councils, educational institutions, non-governmental organisations and political organisations.
Become more employable
We want to ensure that you can progress in this competitive environment and have designed our course content with a practical approach and contemporary subject matter. It is this experience that will give you a commanding position when it comes to taking advantage of the career opportunities available.
Find out more about your career outlook.
During your studies, you should expect to:
- Understand public management and global governance
- Navigate managerial leadership
- Apply individual strategies for public service career development
- Deploy theoretical knowledge using real-world scenarios
- Use international perspective of strategy and practices
Why choose the University of Birmingham for your MPA?
- Ranked 4th in the UK for Social Policy (2020)1
- School of Government awarded Bronze Athena SWAN (2020)2
- 4th most targeted University by the UK’s top employers (High Fliers Research 2022)
- UK’s leading academic centre for teaching and research on local government and strategic public management3
Find out more about the Online Master of Public Administration
1. UNKNOWN (2019) Green economy could create 24 million new jobs. United Nations Sustainable Development Goals [online] [Accessed 12.02.2020]
2. UNKNOWN (2019) 7 affordable and clean energy. United Nations Sustainable Development Goals [online] [Accessed 12.02.2020]
3. UNKNOWN (2018) Executive summary: Emissions Gap Report 2018. United Nations Environment Programme [online] [Accessed 12.02.2020]