Taught by the Institute of Local Government Studies (INLOGOV), the UK’s leading academic centre for research and teaching on local governance and strategic public management, this course has been designed to allow professionals to interpret the key theories and concepts which distinguish political, professional and managerial leadership in public services. It’s through the influence of INLOGOV that you’ll learn to recognise and apply concepts of political leadership in a range of practical real-world situations.
After completing the 8-week course, you will receive an official University of Birmingham postgraduate micro-credential certificate (worth 10 academic credits) and a transcript. You will be able to use these academic credits to apply for advanced entry to the University of Birmingham’s full Online Masters of Public Administration (MPA) qualification.
Why study this course?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Evaluate and interpret the theories and concepts which distinguish political, professional and managerial leadership in public services
- Analyse and apply the skills required to operate successfully in the interface environment in different situations
- Critically appreciate the nature of professional competence and integrity in managing effective relationships with politicians and the value of trust in that context
- Design appropriate governance structures which enable elected officials to hold managers and public sector organisations to account
- Recognise and evaluate the appropriate role for political parties in supporting elected politicians
- Formulate appropriate policy design and decision-making processes that engage elected politicians
Ready to apply? Request more information and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss the application process with you.
The cost to study this online course is £1,250*. This must be paid in full by card before enrolling.
The programme fee includes access to the online learning platform, course materials and digital reading materials. The fee does not include any personal expenses for new technical equipment or office supplies.
If, after completing the course, you wish to transfer to the full Online MPA programme, please speak to your Student Services Co-ordinator. You will need to re-submit an application.
* Prices are subject to change each academic year.
How to apply
To be eligible to apply for a short course, you will need to have obtained (or be predicted to obtain) an upper second-class degree or postgraduate diploma from a UK university, OR an equivalent qualification from a recognised institution. Professional applications may also be considered. Please speak to a Recruitment Co-ordinator to discuss your eligibility.
- Complete an application form online.
- Supply an up-to-date CV and any other supporting documents demonstrating your academic and work experience, plus any other skills that may support your application. These will help us to ensure you have the right experience for the course.
- Submit your most recent degree certificate from your previous institution, so we can verify your education.
- Supply an up-to-date English language certificate if English is not your first language. We accept up-to-date IELTS certificates with a score of 6.5, and no less than 6.0 in any of the elements.