The MSc Financial Management programme is innovative, contemporary and has modules that will equip graduates from it with the knowledge, skills and qualification(s) that are in high demand in banks, insurance companies, stock broking firms, stock exchanges and other industries in the finance sector. The knowledge, skills and qualification(s) that will be acquired from the programme can also be used to seek lucrative jobs in the treasury departments of many local and multinational companies, government departments and other organisations.
Why study MSc Financial Management at Singapore from University of Birmingham?
- You will be motivated to develop a deep and critical knowledge and understanding of corporate finance theories and their contemporary application with the use of the latest digital finance and artificial intelligence (AI) technologies and ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) criteria to evaluate projects and make financing decisions, when appropriate;
- You will learn how to interpret and analyse financial statements of companies (including their annual reports, interim reports, etc.), value businesses and securities of companies and prepare associated reports for an investor or the board of directors of a company;
- You will be taught a wide range of econometric techniques and how to apply them and interpret the results that you obtain from their application;
- You will learn how to download data from a wide range of databases that we have in our Bloomberg Trading Room (such as Bloomberg, WRDS, Compustat, CRSP, Capital IQ, BoardEX, MorningStar, BankFocus, CSMAR, Datastream, ThomsonOne and FAME.) as well as how to analyse the data and draw conclusions from the results obtained from their analysis. The software in our Bloomberg Trading Room is the same as the one that is widely used in industry. Therefore, its use in our Bloomberg Trading Room will give you some experience which will prepare you for your professional career;
- You will learn how to conduct research on a topic or an issue of your choice, how to collect data to use for the research, analyse the data, interpret the results of your data analysis and write a research report;
- We will provide online Financial Markets Simulations through Amplify Trading Limited in the UK (To be confirmed)
This course focuses on real world investment challenges with emphasis on ethical and sustainable business practices. You will learn about Ethics, Governance and Regulation in Treasury on the programme. Find out how we are working for a responsible future at Birmingham.
You will also have the opportunity to take part in the award-winning Future Leaders Certificate programme. This extra-curricular programme will give you the chance to work on an exciting virtual live project set by a multinational company and enables you to better understand the impact that technology is having on the business world and the implications for your own career.
This programme has a pathway which will enable you to achieve two ACT (Association of Corporate Treasurers in the UK) professional qualifications. The pathway covers 80% of the syllabus for the ACT examinations for the professional qualifications. Students who take and pass the elective modules required for the professional qualifications (namely, International Treasury Management and Risk Analysis and Management) and satisfy the other requirements for the qualifications, will be eligible for the award of the Certificate in Treasury Fundamentals (CertTF) and the Certificate in Treasury (CertT), in addition to their MSc Financial Management degree.
Who is this course for?
This is a conversion programme. It is designed for university graduates who have some quantitative backgrounds and want to work in the finance industries (such as banks, insurance companies, pension funds, stock broking firms, stock exchanges, finance/treasury departments of many local and multinational organisations or government departments) but have limited knowledge of finance, accounting or economics to do so. The MSc Financial Management programme will give such university graduates the knowledge, skills and qualification(s) that they need to work in the industries.