The Global Banking and Finance MBA is designed for professionals who aspire to a career in global banking and finance. It will guide you through management and technical skills, and develop you into a broadly knowledgeable professional, capable of performing at the top of the international banking and finance industry.
Birmingham Business School is accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), AMBA (Association of MBAs) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System).
Please be reassured that the vote to leave the European Union does not mean there will be any immediate material change to the UK university sector’s participation in EU programmes nor to the immigration status of prospective EU students starting in 2016/17 and 2017/18. Visit our EU Referendum information page for more information.
Quick links: Why study this course | Modules | Fees and Funding |Entry Requirements | How to apply
A part of our Distinguished Leaders Series, high profile leaders from a range of industries across the world offer insights into their personal journey and discuss the qualities of a great leader. In addition to the lecture, MBA students will have the chance to ask questions in a roundtable setting.
This MBA programme has been specifically designed for graduates who aspire to develop careers in global banking and finance. The programme aims to improve management and technical skills by focusing on key areas such as international banking, banking and finance regulation and supervision, risk and asset and liability management, strategic management of financial institutions, financial markets, and private equity and venture capital finance.
Many of our graduates are working at senior positions in banks and financial institutions, and in the investment industry worldwide. The programme is delivered by University faculty and industry practitioners to cater to the current and future needs of global financial services industry. MBA (GBF) attracts highly qualified and experienced students from a variety of cultures and nationalities and is highly rated by students wanting to specialise in banking and finance.
The programme includes core modules and optional modules. Apart from the taught element of the programme, students have the opportunity to attend talks delivered by practising managers and senior executives from some of the world’s leading banks and finance houses. Students will have opportunities to interact, discuss their career-related issues and gain valuable insights into the working of these prestigious institutions.
Skills to further your career in banking and finance – develop a comprehensive understanding of technical and management skills to become a well-rounded manager in international banking and finance.
Access the latest research – as a researchled business school, we give our students access to the latest trends, data and knowledge within the global banking and finance industry.
A life-time of career coaching – from the moment you join us you will have a mentor and career coach available to guide you through your career in international banking and finance.
Accredited business school – We hold the prestigious ‘triple-crown’ accreditation from the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), AMBA (Association of MBAs) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System).
The following modules must be taken:
Students should take at least 2 modules from the following:
Students should take up to but no more than 2 modules from the following:
Students must also choose one of the following:
The modules listed on our website may occasionally be subject to change. For example, as you will appreciate, key members of staff may leave the University and this might necessitate a review of the modules that are offered. Where a module is no longer available, we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other choices.
View more details on The Birmingham MBA Fees.
To learn more about fees and funding, please view the University's guide to tuition fees for postgraduates.
Scholarships and studentships
Scholarships may be available. International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
For further information view the currently available MBA scholarships, contact the School directly or visit the University of Birmingham's Students Academic Services.
Postgraduate Loans for Masters students
If you're an English-resident, or EU student, you may be eligible for a loan to study a taught or research Masters in any subject. The government-backed student loan will provide up to £10,280 in 2017.
Detailed criteria and information regarding the application can be found on our postgraduate funding page.
- Questions about funding? Use our Student Help knowledge base to find the answer.
- A good Honours degree (or equivalent), or equivalent professional qualification
- A minimum of three years of professional finance-related work experience
- IELTS 7.0 (with no less than 6.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 95 (with no less than 22 in any band); Pearson Academic Test of English 67 (in all four skills)
Learn more about entry requirements
We accept a range of qualifications from different countries – learn more about international entry requirements.
- 12-month MBA – IELTS 7.0 (with no less than 6.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 95 (with no less than 22 in any band); Pearson Academic Test of English 67 (in all four skills).
- 21-month route – IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in any band); TOEFL IBT 88 (21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 59 (in all four skills).
- 24-month route – IELTS 6.0 (with no less than 5.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 82 (19 in Reading, 19 in Listening, 21 in Speaking and 19 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 51 (in all four skills).
When clicking on the Apply Now button you will be directed to an application specifically designed for the programme you wish to apply for where you will create an account with the University application system and submit your application and supporting documents online. Further information regarding how to apply online can be found on the How to apply pages
This MBA programme has been specifically designed for graduates who aspire to develop careers in global banking and finance and aims to improve management and technical skills by focusing on key areas such as international banking, banking and finance regulation and supervision, risk and asset and liability management, strategic management of financial institutions, financial markets, private equity and venture capital finance.
- Core taught elements in functional business disciplines. As a research-led School, the latest thinking and techniques can be rapidly incorporated and teaching kept at the cutting edge
- Classes and seminars supplement lectures, where fuller analysis and discussion takes place and important business skills, such as analysis, argument and synthesis, can be developed
- Case studies are used as a means of relating theory to practical situations and students will often work in small groups with other students on assignments designed to develop problem solving and interpersonal skills
- A series of industrial seminars, given by outside speakers from industry and commerce, provides contemporary ‘real world’ perspectives on the business environment – past visitors to the School have included Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England (and a former professor of the University of Birmingham) and Sir John Bond, Chairman of HSBC Holdings
- A residential weekend business simulation requires you to manage a ‘company’ team in competition with others, against tight deadlines and with a range of rapidly changing data to assimilate and act upon (Full-time only)
- Cross-Cultural Management skills are developed in a variety of workshops and Issues in Global Competitiveness are the focus of a specialist series of seminars
- Researching and writing a project develops skills in information gathering, analysis and report writing
- A supporting programme of consultant delivered career-development workshops allow you to reflect on the impact of what you have learnt on your future career development
A bespoke learning environment
As a Birmingham MBA student, you will have exclusive access to the second floor of our new postgraduate teaching space, the Alan Walters Building. This will provide you with access to facilities of the highest quality, including a Harvard-style lecture theatre, dedicated computer cluster and seminar rooms as well as breakout rooms and communal areas for studying and group work, which will look out over the Green Heart when completed in 2019.
EXPLORE OUR POSTGRADUATE TEACHING SPACE IN 360 DEGREES
An MBA alumni, who is now a Marketing Director at Thomson Local, discusses his time studying a Birmingham MBA.
From the very start of your MBA, you receive bespoke advice from our employment consultants. Through one-to-one coaching, our industry experienced they work with you to clarify your aspirations and support you in your future career, jointly developing a winning employment strategy to take you to the next level and to open doors to a range of potential employer.
Whilst on your MBA you will have the opportunity to engage with top international companies. Our MBA students have participated in a range of activities with employers including BP, GE, IBM, Accenture, Capgemini, Unilever, Deloitte and HSBC.
Group and individual activities to enhance your skills
Throughout the programme, you will have the opportunity to be involved in group and individual activities all aimed at helping you to develop the skills and techniques which lead to highly successful employment outcomes.
A few examples of these activities that you will undertake throughout your MBA programme include online profile building, Careers in Consultancy networking event, Distinguished leaders alumni seminar series, mock assessment centre, skills coaching, and video recorded interview practice.
Careers in Business
Careers in Business is a dedicated service for postgraduate Business School students. We’ll help you in all aspects of your career management, from planning your job-seeking strategies, applying for jobs, preparing for interviews and assessment centres and developing your essential employability skills. At the start of your programme you will receive an email from our team, giving details of how you can access Careers in Business Online. Please get in touch to find out how our Careers in Business team can support you.
Learn more about the service that our Careers in Business team can provide.
Career development advice
Our consultants offer an individual advice service, which includes:
Career review and objective setting
Interview and selection advice
Working in the UK
International work enquiries
Employers aren’t just looking for great qualifications. They want to see high-quality personal skills too, such as team working, leadership, presentation and interpersonal skills. Our Skills Development Consultants offer individual appointments to help you shape and hone these qualities.
Keeping you up to date
Our Employer Liaison Team regularly undertakes initiatives to attract employment/ project opportunities into the Business School. You can find information about vacancies and other openings on Careers in Business Online and on Business School noticeboards, as well as through the
Careers and Employability Centre vacancy database
Careers events and workshops
This is your chance to find out about employment opportunities, develop your skills and network with industry professionals. Our range of career management, personal development and employer events are a great opportunity to discover what’s open to you upon graduation – just sign up to the events to take part.
Using the Careers and Employability Centre
Postgraduate students in the Business School are very welcome to use the services provided by the Careers and Employability Centre such as online vacancy listings, employer presentations and fairs and accessing online careers information. You can use the Careers in Business team for individual appointments, CV checking, mock interviews and other job search-related activities.