Online chat events
MONDAY 11 MAY 2020 10:00 - 11:00
Online chat further information
Our online chat event is designed to inform prospective postgraduate students, applicants and offer holders about the taught postgraduate courses available within the School of Mathematics and how to prepare you for your course.
In recent years, new developments in mathematical optimisation and statistics have revolutionised system engineering, information science, signal and image processing, statistical error correction and cryptography.
This has created urgent need, in both academic research and in practical implementation, for a new generation of mathematicians trained to work at the frontiers of mathematical optimization, statistics and their applications to engineering, healthcare, finance and economics.
This programme is both technical and pragmatic. You will acquire the ability to integrate state-of-the-art knowledge of statistics and optimisation to address, analyse and provide a rational appraisal of a given problem in different professional contexts.
This is a multidisciplinary field that involves the study of mathematical optimisation techniques, operational research methods, programming and statistics with their applications to economics, finance, medicine, industrial management, natural sciences and others.
Researchers at the University of Birmingham have recently shown how the modern optimization and statistical methods are successfully applied to engineering design, financial and economical data analysis, meta-analysis, economic equilibrium, network communication, and combinatorial optimization.
Why study Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Econometrics (MORSE) Masters at Birmingham?
- Develop your mathematics, business, economics, science or engineering background within a broad range of professional areas in quantitative analysis
- Acquire the ability to integrate the knowledge of statistics and optimisation to address, critically analyse and provide a rational appraisal of a problem
- Learn to use software packages to perform statistical analysis and empirical studies
- Focus on finding optimal solutions to optimisation problems in broader and challenging environments
- Study at the School of Mathematics which is internationally recognised for the quality of our research in various fields