The Microstructure Engineering Research Group at the University of Birmingham is a vibrant group engaged in research across many diverse industrial areas, including food and nutrition, agrochemical and pharmaceutical. The group uses a microstructural engineering approach to give materials functional properties by manipulating their underlying micro and nano scale properties. The group is the largest of its type in any UK chemical engineering department.
Within this theme we carry out research to provide:
- Underpinning support for the food industry
- Over the horizon research to help develop the UK science base
- Microstructure design and the development of processes and techniques to create microstructured materials
- Development of novel and cutting edge techniques to control encapsulation, release and delivery of a wide range of compounds and physical properties
- Transfer of novel small scale processes to large-scale well characterised industrial processes