The National Buried Infrastructure Facility (NBIF) is a 'one of its kind' facility for research, education and training in buried infrastructure-ground interaction, soil stabilisation and improvement, geophysical sensing, pipeline detection & condition assessment, tunnelling and trenchless technologies, to name but a few.
- Material storage and test assembly areas
- Strong floor for structural testing and research
- Mini geotechnical centrifuge and environmental chambers
- Pipeline and small-structure testing rigs
- Water engineering plant room and external pipeline loop
- Material characterisation and preparation facilities
- Data visualisation and video conference suite
- High-performance computing & modelling facilities
- Study space, research offices and industrial knowledge transfer rooms
The Facility is now in operation and with our formal opening scheduled for the 20th October 2021.
Image: Exterior and internal views of National Buried Infrastructure Facility (NBIF)
Get in touch
We welcome ideas for research, product development, testing programmes, staff secondments and knowledge exchange activities. Please contact Professor David Chapman [firstname.lastname@example.org] or Professor Nigel Cassidy [email@example.com].