Junior Researcher LAB award
At EuroSLA 32, taking place at the University of Birmingham in August/September 2023, Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism will be awarding the Junior Researcher LAB Award for the most promising PhD project selected for presentation at the doctoral workshop.
The recipient of the Junior Researcher LAB award receives 300 Euros.
The award is presented to junior researchers carrying out original projects in the areas of bilingualism, second language research and multilingualism. Irrespective of the stage of the PhD project, we honour a project that addresses new and ambitious research questions, tackles methodological challenges and makes novel contributions to the field. In order to be eligible for the award, applicants must provide the following:
- A letter that details the aims, scope and relevance of the dissertation project, describes its progress to date, and identifies open questions. Maximum two pages.
- The presentation (slides) to be presented at the doctoral workshop in PDF-format
- A statement that the presentation is the original work of the applicant. If the presentation is co-authored, the applicant should explain each individual’s contribution.
- Proof that the applicant is an MA or PhD student or equivalent.
Submissions need to be sent by e-mail to the editorial assistant of LAB (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than two weeks before the doctoral workshop at EUROSLA.
The evaluation criteria are:–
- Relevance of the contribution to the fields of bilingualism, SLA or multilingualism;
- Significance and originality of the topic addressed;
- Strength and originality of research design;
- Potential impact of research on practice, theory or future research.
Evaluations will be made by a committee formed by the editors of LAB exclusively on the basis of the documents submitted, and the award will be presented at the General Assembly of EuroSLA. The recipient will be notified on the first day of the EuroSLA conference and ideally attends the General Assembly to receive the award in person.