Developed in partnership with school leaders in Birmingham, the West Midlands and Dubai, the Education Leadership Academy collaboratively designs, constructs and delivers outstanding programmes informed by leading-edge practice to support the future leaders of education.
More about what we do
- The Education Leadership Academy was launched in 2019 to bring together the best front-line leadership practice with outstanding research. To achieve this we have built a team of academic colleagues and guest lecturers and seminar leaders. Professor Colin Diamond is Director of the ELA and he brings extensive experience of leadership within the education sector from schools to national government. We offer our core master’s level leadership programmes and a range of complementary activities including research, consultancy and the hugely popular seminars. We have a base at the campus in Dubai and work internationally with students from across the world.
- The aim of the Education Leadership Academy is be to provide educational leadership development programmes for today’s and tomorrow’s education leaders in the UK, UAE and throughout the world. In 2018/19, the School of Education had international students from 20 countries on the Masters programme.
- Its core products are the MA Education Leadership Degree programmes.
- The philosophy, pedagogy and programmes of the Education Leadership Academy are rooted in socially inclusive leadership and the creation of social capital within communities. We ask first, 'what matters?' before asking 'what works?'
- We are researching those schools, largely in urban settings, that have disadvantaged cohorts and go on to ensure high levels of achievement and attainment for their pupils and students.
- The Masters programmes, whilst rooted in scholarship and research, are now co-designed, co-constructed and co-delivered with contemporary school leaders who have a track record of excellence. Student feedback from the MA Leadership for the School Improvement module in 2018/19 was exceptional where this approached was introduced in 2018/19.
- We have been running a series of seminars led by top English educationalists which started in November 2019. Those leading the seminars include Sir David Carter, former National Schools Commissioner, Steve Munby CBE, former CEO National College for School Leadership and published author Imperfect Leadership, and the largest provider of AI curriculum in England and Dame Rachel de Souza, Children’s Commissioner for England.