Train to Teach at Birmingham

Our Primary and Secondary postgraduate teacher training courses prepare top graduates for a career inspiring learning and transforming lives. 

FAQs for International Applicants

I am currently teaching in my home country and interested in achieving QTS in England

If you are already teaching abroad, you may be interested in this route.

Does the university offer student visa sponsorship to international students who want to train as a teacher in the UK?

International students are welcome to apply to our course. If you are successful and are made an offer, you will need to accept the offer and fulfil the conditions as outlined in the offer letter. Once this is completed, you would be issued with a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) to apply for your visa. Once the CAS is issued you will be able to apply for a visa in your home country and will need to ensure that this is done promptly and allow for delays at embassies etc. Any delays to this could result in a delayed start to the course and if there are significant delays, you may not be able to join the course.

I am interested in Physics or Mathematics Teacher Training. Do I qualify for the bursary or scholarship as I do not have pre-settled status?

You can find details regarding bursaries and scholarships on the government website.

For further advice, please contact the ITT funding team.

Do you provide visa sponsorships for students outside of the UK and does this enable me to bring my family?

Once you obtain your visa, you can apply for a dependant visa for their dependants travelling with you. You could possibly also apply for your study visa as well as your dependant’s visa at the same time. Visit the government website for more information on dependant visa’s.

Are international students eligible for a Bursary?

You can find further information in regard to eligibility for bursaries here.

Do you accept an IELTS qualification?

We do ask for an IELTS qualification as well as an equivalent GCSE English award too. See below:

  • English Language requirements
  • IELTS 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in any band
  • PTE Academic 67 with no less than 64 in all four skills
  • TOEFL - 88 IBT overall with no less than 20 in Listening, 21 in Reading, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing
  • Cambridge English Advanced: 176 overall with 169 in each component

Some nationalities may be exempt from this, please contact us on for further information – please also copy in

How will I know if my non-UK qualifications meet your entry criteria?

Our central admissions team can assess your qualifications on application. However, it would help speed up the process if you were able to provide a comparability statement at the point of application.

You can register with Get into Teaching and they can let you know if your qualifications are applicable.

You can also apply for a UK ENIC comparability statement.



Our partner schools

Click on the left corner to bring up the legend so you can filter the type of schools.


Forthcoming teacher events

more events....

Tweets from @UoBTeach



Also in 'Teacher Training'