As a medical or dental student, you may choose to take a year out from your medical / dental course and study on one of our intercalated Bachelor in Medical Science degree programmes or a Bachelor of Science programme.
At the University of Birmingham we offer a suite of intercalated programmes:
We accept applications for the above programmes from any medical or dental student currently studying with the UK or EU, with the exception of our Medical Sciences programme which is open to University of Birmingham students exclusively. Current University of Birmingham students wishing to intercalate at another institution should refer to the Intercalation section within Canvas for details of the process of securing leave of absence for the purpose of intercalation.
To get in depth scientific training in an area already of interest to you and develop practical research and analysis skills within that discipline. Additional information about the advantages and disadvantages of intercalation can be found in the journal 'Medical Education' by Philip and colleagues (2015). In addition to its intellectual challenge, the intercalated programme enables you to:
- develop and conduct your own research (which may lead to publication)
- get an additional qualification of relevance to your future career.
- broaden your medical interests into an area outside the undergraduate curriculum or to take your interest to a higher level than can be covered within core curricula.
- develop and enhance transferable skills such as writing, project management, presentation skills, argument development and debating skills.
- study with students from outside a clinical medicine background (some programmes only)
Find out more
If you wish to find out more about intercalation, we would like to invite you to our Intercalation Information Night, which for 2019 entry is on Thursday 11th October 2018 in the Birmingham Medical School. Similar events occur annually.
For further information and to register for the event please email us at email@example.com
If you have any specific enquiries about any of the intercalated programmes we offer, please submit your questions beforehand so that they can be addressed on the night. The questions should also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
BMEDSC CLinical Sciences and Intercalation
Taking a research year as part of your degree
International and Public Health students talk about their Intercalated research projects