Career support for postgraduates
Postgraduates from the University of Birmingham are highly sought after by employers and most find employment soon after gaining their degree.
Our aim is to help you grow intellectually and gain the skills, understanding and attributes that lead to the career you want. Whatever your motivation for postgraduate study, we are here to support you to achieve your personal goals.
Birmingham postgraduates are highly sought after. We are in the top five most targeted universities in the UK by top employers (High Fliers Research - The Graduate Market in 2021/22), demonstrating our commitment to you and your future.
Our University Graduate School and Careers Network, the on-campus centre for careers and employability, offers support and expert career advice tailored to meet the diverse needs of our postgraduate community.
Whether you’re looking for a career as an academic, starting your own business or are still unsure; we have dedicated resources and services for postgraduate researchers to help you identify your career aims, contact prospective employers, and develop your skills.
What can we offer you?
Our University Graduate School, based in Westmere house, works in association with the Careers Network to provide a variety of services that are accessible throughout the year.
We can offer you:
- One-to-one career guidance from our college-specific advisors
- CV and job application advice to help you stand out to employers
- An annual programme of careers fairs on campus to meet employers and find out about a range of opportunities available
- Employer presentations and networking sessions
- Careers workshops to improve your interview skills and help you find work experience
- Monthly Postgraduate Careers Clubs– informal themed sessions for postgraduates to discuss career ideas and concerns
- Skills training for postgraduates
- Graduate mentoring
- Support and advice on setting up your own business
- Online career action planning tools and self-enrolment career development courses to use in your own time and support your career planning
- Specific support for postgraduate researchers, including events, workshops, advice sessions, socials and wellbeing events