Established by Queen Victoria in 1900, Birmingham is a world-leading university set on a beautiful, green estate. The University of Birmingham is an outward-looking, international institution, which has always and will continue to open its arms to staff and students from all nationalities and backgrounds.
A Global University
- Birmingham is a leading, global top 100 university.
- We are a member of the elite Russell Group of UK universities.
- Birmingham is the first Russell Group, and global top 100 university to establish a campus in Dubai.
- Birmingham has one of the largest international student communities in the UK, with 5000 students from 150 countries.
Birmingham the city
In the glorious heart of England, Birmingham is a diverse, modern and exciting city with a long cultural and intellectual heritage.
Less than two hours from London, Birmingham is situated in a prime, central location in the country, and offers everything you could desire from a capital city, within easy reach of the picturesque English countryside.
- Catch the train from University Station to Birmingham New Street in eight minutes.
- With Birmingham International Airport on your doorstep, travelling to mainland Europe couldn't be easier.
- Birmingham is the youngest city in Europe, with under-25s accounting for nearly 40% of its population.
- With over 8,000 acres of parks and open space, Birmingham is one of the greenest cities in the UK.
- All faiths are well represented in Birmingham, with more than 650 churches, mosques, synagogues and temples across the city.
Find out what else the city has to offer ➤
For more than a century, University of Birmingham research has had a major impact on the city of Birmingham, the region and the world.
- We are a founding member of Universitas 21; the leading global network of research-intensive universities.
- Our Birmingham Heroes campaign highlights academic figures whose work at Birmingham impacts on the lives of people in the UK and beyond.
- The work of our 11 Nobel Prize winners has tackled global challenges and pioneered new discoveries which have transformed our understanding of the world.
- Being taught by academic staff who are also world-leading researchers is a huge advantage for you as a student at Birmingham.
Find out more about our research ➤