Embedding sustainability within University practices and programmes requires plans and policies to guide decision making and delivery.
Professor Laura Green OBE
UEB Sustainability Lead, Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Head of College of Life and Environmental Sciences
“Socially responsible institutions are those that adopt policies that promote the wellbeing of society and the environment whilst lessening the impact. We have always understood that a commitment to society and the environment go hand-in-hand, and that commitment has been evident throughout our approach to sustainability across our research, our student experience, and through our innovative campus management and development. Our commitment now extends across the globe as we forge new connections by establishing the University of Birmingham India Institute, as we become the first global top 100 and Russell Group University to establish a campus in Dubai.
We recognise too that any action or initiative can impact and contribute positively to several SDGs at any one time ultimately contributing to slowing climate change, we will continually explore and draw on these relationships to help realise our role in addressing these global challenges.”
Our Sustainability and Social Responsibility ambitions are set out in our Roadmap to 2025/26. The Roadmap identifies our impact areas we will be developing as we continue to deliver the Birmingham 2026 vision.
The Roadmap to 2025/26 builds on the significant work delivered to date:
- Global impact through our SDG Research. In 2019 >30% publications dealt with SDG themes.
- In 2019 over 700 course modules aligned to SDG priorities, contributing to world class graduates with sustainability in mind.
- As the first Civic University our engagement with the region is paramount. We contribute over £3.5billion to the local economy.
- Wellbeing services including our programme with Pause, delivered in partnership with Forward Thinking Birmingham.
- Inclusivity, equality and diversity underpinned by our commitment to work towards charters including Athena Swan, Race Equality and the Diversity Forum.
- Sustainable operations have achieved a 20% emissions reduction on a 2005/06 baseline, leading ULEV fleets and a green student community.
Our current policies and plans