This international online Masters programme from the School of Dentistry is specially designed for primary dental care providers who want to advance their clinical skills and knowledge, with the primary objective of enhancing the quality of their patient care.
With 13 years of experience in successfully delivering this course on our campus, it is now available as an online distance learning programme, making it easier to fit in with the lives of busy practitioners both in the UK and all over the world.
Msc Advanced General Dental Practice graduate
“I have found the discussion forums incredibly useful on the MSc. It allows us to communicate with each other (wherever we are in the world), share thoughts and ideas and ask questions...It certainly makes a distance learning course feel close to home.”
This international online Masters programme is designed for primary dental care providers who want to advance their clinical skills and knowledge, with the primary objective of enhancing the quality of their patient care.
The objectives of the programme are:
- To provide you with the opportunity to enhance your clinical knowledge, insight and expertise in areas directly relating to your practice
- To enhance the quality of care provided to your patients
- To provide a base for enjoyable personal professional development
- To improve your employability in a highly competitive job market
- To provide support for achieving other qualifications - ORE, MFDS, FFGDP, MJDF etc
This distance learning programme was designed by the School of Dentistry's Times Higher Award winning e-learning team to offer you a distance course that feels like a campus course, giving you personal contact with your professors and your fellow students, and all the benefits you would expect from one of the UK's top universities. A unique aspect of the programme is to provide you with your own phantom head jaws, equipment and teaching materials, allowing you to refine your practical skills and learn new techniques across a wide range of operative procedures in conservative dentistry, endodontics, periodontology and fixed prosthetics.
- Personal 24/7 access to one of the world's most advanced online dental education platforms
- Free online access to journals and text books from the University of Birmingham's dental and medical libraries
- 24/7 access to online lectures and resources from renowned experts in every dental speciality
- Free access to www.dentaljuce.com, the 24/7 verifiable e-learning library
- Free access to School of Dentistry's award-winning ecourse www.dentistry.bham.ac.uk/ecourse
- One-to-one online advice and guidance in dental photography via www.dentalphotographyinpractice.com
- The opportunity to interact online with peers from around the world
2015/16 course fee
Full MSc fee £15900, payable in instalments
- All study resources and materials
- Accommodation and tuition fees for the two residential courses
- Your own Kavo phantom head jaws to produce a portfolio of practical work
Self funding students can choose to pay in instalments by direct debit.
Learn more about fees and funding.
International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government. Visit our website for information about scholarships for international students.
For information about all Home/EU and International funding opportunities please visit the Postgraduate Funding Database.
For other funding queries contact the School directly or get in touch with the Student Funding Office via the online enquiries system.
- You must have a primary degree in dental surgery or equivalent qualification.
- Two references from professional colleagues.
- You will need to be currently delivering clinical care for patients that will provide a range of procedures for case reports on which some assessments are based.
Learn more about entry requirements
English language requirements
You can satisfy our English language requirements in two ways:
English to IELTS 7.0 (with a minimum of 6.5 in each component).
Foreign nationals who are registered with the UK General Dental Council do not have to undertake English tests.
When clicking on the Apply Now button you will be directed to an application specifically designed for the programme you wish to apply for where you will create an account with the University application system and submit your application and supporting documents online. Further information regarding how to apply online can be found on the How to apply pages
The programme will contain two residential weeks based in Birmingham (one week per year), and will allow you to receive direct hands-on tuition from some of the world's most experienced dental educators. You will use the brand new £1 million simulation suite at the School of Dentistry.
Accommodation on the University's delightful campus and a full programme of social activities are included in the price of your Masters degree course.
Students will design and carry out an audit project with academic support from specialists relevant to their chosen subject. Also, in addition to clinical studies, Masters students will carry out a series of chair-side simulated practical procedures of their choosing, using the latest contemporary materials and equipment and following online step-by-step technique guides unique to this programme.
Feedback from many online courses confirms that students need to have direct access to real people who respond quickly and authoritatively to enquiries and requests.
Therefore you will have a personal named advisor for both your dental studies and for your general requirements as a fully enrolled student at the University of Birmingham. Your academic advisors will be highly experienced and qualified dentists from the Birmingham School of Dentistry.
Using email, telephone, Skype, and web-based discussions you will be able to communicate directly with your teachers, course administrators, and your fellow students.
What the students say
We have collected some comments from our current students so you can see what they think about the programme and how they have found the distance learning aspect:
Student quotes - general course comments
Student quotes - residential week comments
The programme is divided into eight study modules and each module will be assessed via a series of case reports and presentations that will serve a dual purpose for patient and peer education in practice.
The MSc Advanced General Dental Practice programme is a Masters degree taught and accredited by the University of Birmingham, and is an excellent addition to your Curriculum Vitae (CV) when seeking new job opportunities.
It proves that you have an advanced level of knowledge and skill in your chosen profession, that you have a commitment to improving the quality of your patient care, and that you understand the business aspects of General Dental Practice. These are all important qualities to potential employers.
If you are a citizen of a country outside the European Union (EU), please note that the MSc Advanced General Dental Practice programme in itself does not give you a licence to work in the UK.
For enquiries about working in the UK, please consult the UK General Dental Council.