Birmingham Masters Scholarship
- Level of study
- Postgraduate taught masters
- Subject area
- Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, Social Sciences
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closes 02/07/2023
We are offering over 200 awards of £2,000 to support the brightest and best applicants wishing to undertake Masters study at the University during 2023-24.
We want you to excel at Birmingham and to stand out in an increasingly competitive, global job market once you graduate. Alongside our robust personal and academic support, we offer financial support to ensure the very best candidates can undertake postgraduate study with us.
The Birmingham Masters scholarships will be awarded to over 200 candidates beginning their Masters study in 2023 and awards will be based on previous academic and/or professional performance. Candidates are expected to attain a First-class or Upper Second-class (2:1) Honours degree (or the equivalent) for their undergraduate qualification and to provide a strong personal statement in evidence of their achievements.
Applications for the Birmingham Masters Scholarship are now open. The deadline for the first round of applications to the scholarship is 23:59 (UK Time) on 30 April 2023.
Value of Award
£2,000 per scholarship.
The Birmingham Master Scholarships will be available to students who are:
- Domiciled in the UK — students recorded as Home for fee status purposes are eligible, provided that they meet the other eligibility criteria;
- Self-funded — you must be self-funding or applying for a postgraduate government loan to pay your fees and living expenses and not in receipt of any other scholarships (excluding the University of Birmingham Postgraduate Progression Award which can be held in addition to the Birmingham Masters Scholarship);
- Not already registered on a postgraduate programme — applicants must not currently be enrolled on a postgraduate degree course;
- Undertaking a Masters course in an eligible subject
Eligible courses include the following, delivered at our Edgbaston Campus or by distance learning.
- MA (Taught)
- MSc (Pre-reg)
- MSc (Taught)
Please note that MA/MSc by Research and MRes (combined taught and research) programmes are not eligible.
Eligibility to receive the scholarship will be determined by a University selection panel based on the following criteria:
- Academic excellence and previous study - Birmingham Masters Scholarships are primarily awarded on the basis of academic performance in the applicants’ previous studies
- Professional qualifications and achievements - Qualifications and other notable achievements from relevant professional roles will be taken into account
- Strength of the personal statement - The personal statement is a chance to make the application stand out. It should, amongst other things: outline your interest in the subject, demonstrate that your background has sufficiently prepared you for the degree, mention any relevant experience and outline how the course will fit into your future plans
- University or College subject priorities
Please visit our website for full terms and conditions of the scholarship.
How to Apply
To be considered for an award, applicants must, by the deadline, have done both of the following:
- Made an application to their intended Masters programme. Please apply through the relevant programme page on the Course finder section of the University of Birmingham website. This must include all of the relevant supporting documentation: references, transcripts if available, and English language certification if applicable.
- Completed the Birmingham Masters Scholarships application form.
Applicants should enter the application ID number that they were given during the application to the Masters programme.
Due to the high volume of applications, the Birmingham Masters Scholarship will have two rounds: round one will occur between November 2022 - April 2023. Round two will occur between May - July 2023. This is so we can process applications as and when we receive them and respond to applicants in a timely manner. If you are made a reserve within round one your application will automatically be carried over into round two. You do not need to re-apply.
Round one deadline is 23:59 (UK Time) on Sunday, April 30, 2023. Round two deadline is 23:59 (UK Time) on Sunday, 2 July 2023.
Are you a current final year undergraduate student at Birmingham? Apply for the Postgraduate Progression Award
Are you an International student? Check out our postgraduate scholarships for International postgraduate students
Postgraduate Recruitment Team