Money requirements for student visas

In order to come to the UK with a Student Route visa you will need to show that you have enough money to cover your course and to support yourself during your studies (maintenance).

The 28 day rule

You must have the required amount of money for at least 28 consecutive days (minimum balance held). The end date of the 28-day period must be within 31 days of the date you apply for your visa. The most recent balance on the statement must be within one month of submitting your visa application. UKCISA has detailed information about how to prepare financial documents. 

How much money do I need?

You will need to show that you have enough money for both:

  • the full tuition fee for the first/current year of your course - the fee amount will be shown on your CAS statement.
  • an amount of money to cover your maintenance/living costs which are set by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) under the Student Route financial requirements.
  • For any dependant applicants, they will have different amounts to evidence.

Maintenance/living costs amount

New to study in the UK

If you are new to study in the UK, you will need the following amount for your maintenance/living costs.

  • For a course lasting 9 months or longer in duration: £1,023 per month (for up to 9 months maximum = £9,207) for courses outside London (e.g. University of Birmingham)
  • For a course of less than 9 months in duration: £1023 for each month of your course 

If you have made payments towards University-owned accommodation you can deduct a maximum of £1334 from the total maintenance amount (the paid amount would be shown on the CAS).

Tuition fees already paid to the University of Birmingham 

If you pay your tution fees as stated on the CAS, in full, before submitting your visa application, you will only need to show money for meeting your maintenance/living costs. You should submit evidence of your paid tuition fees into your visa evidence (e.g. fee invoice) just in case (However, any fees paid will be shown on the CAS). 

Documents you need

As part of your visa application you will need to include documents that are in the UKVI accepted format that prove you have the required level of money.  Evidence of your money must meet specific requirements. If it does not, your visa application may be refused. It is important that you check your documents carefully, and note that the documents you need to provide with your application will be different depending on whether you are a officially sponsored student (e.g. financial scholarship) or whether you are self-funded (your own money).

Low-risk nationalities and documents to submit

If you hold a 'Low Risk' nationality and are applying from this country you should still make sure you hold your financial documents in the accepted format but you will not be required to submit them in your visa evidence. However the Home Office (UKVI) can request later for this type of evidence when processing your visa application. If you are asked for evidence and fail to provide the documents in time, then your visa application will be refused.

For a full list of low risk countries see under section 'If you’re from a country listed under the ‘differential evidence requirement’.

Sponsored students - documents

Documents list

You can receive official financial sponsorship from a government, the British Council or any international organisation, an international company, a university or an Independent School.

You must provide a document that includes the relevant following information:

  • be on official letter-headed paper or stationery of the organisation with the official stamp signature of the organisation
  • state your full name (as shown on passport)
  • state the name and contact details of your official financial sponsor
  • state the issue date of the letter
  • state with the duration of your financial scholarship or sponsorship
  • state the amount of money the sponsor is giving to you per month OR confirmation that the official financial sponsor will 'cover all of your tuition fees and living costs'.  If your sponsor is not covering all your fees and living costs, you must be able to demonstrate that you have the rest of the money required (with alternative financial evidence e.g. bank statements).

If your sponsor is a government OR international scholarship agency and/or your full sponsorship ended within the last 12 months of your application being made, you will need your sponsor's permission to remain or re-enter the UK. You must provide your sponsor's 'unconditional consent' in writing (an official letter). Your sponsorship letter should specifically state that your sponsor consents to you continuing your studies in the UK.

Self-funded or parent-funded students - documents

Documents list

If you do not have an official financial sponsor, you are only able to provide evidence of funding using your own bank account (including a joint account you hold with someone else) or your parents or legal guardian’s bank accounts. If the money is in someone else’s account, or in a business account that does not have your parent’s name on it, you will need to move it so that you can provide the correct documents. The Student Route financial requirements allow for use of 'personal' fund accounts only, not business accounts. Maintenance must be in the form of cash funds and must be avaliable to withdraw immediately which means you cannot use an overdraft facility or credit card as evidence of funds.

You must provide bank statements meeting each one of the following requirements:

  • In your name or your parents' name - not a business name
  • Showing that the money has been in the account for a full 28 days, and that the amount of money has never gone below the required amount in this time
  • Dated no more than one month before the date of your application
  • Showing the account number, the bank's name and the bank's logo

If you use bank statements from an unacceptable institution (not regulated) your visa application may be refused. When using overseas financial documents, UKVI will need to carry out verification checks on the bank. 

If you are using your parents' account you must also provide:

  • Your original birth certificate or a notarised copy, showing the names of your parents
  • A dated letter from your parents confirming that they are your parents and that they give permission for you to use their money in the UK

If you cannot provide these documents, you should read the Home Office financial guidance for any further details.

Any documents that are not also in English, must be accompanied by a 'certified' English translation.