Student visa issued for another university

If your current student visa was not issued for the University of Birmingham and you would like to use this for your course, you will need to take action before the start of your course. 

Check your visa expiry date and course start date

If your visa is due to expire 29 days or more, before the start of your new course, you need to leave the UK. You will need to apply for a new visa from your home country. 

If your visa will still be valid on the start date of your new course, or it is due to expire within 28 days of the course start date, you should follow the instructions below.

Your visa does not cover the full length of your course

You must apply for a new student visa before you can be registered at the University of Birmingham.  

If you have made your visa application you can start your course before you receive the UKVI decision, however this is at your own risk because the visa may not be granted.  

The University will need to see proof that you have made an application before you can be registered, you need to provide all of the following:

  • special delivery receipt from the Post Office
  • photocopy of the photograph page of your passport
  • photocopies of all UK visas (including any that were issued on a biometric card)
  • photocopies of the supporting documents you sent
  • UKVI letter confirming receipt of your application (if received)

It is your responsibility to provide this proof, without proof you cannot be registered.

Applying for a new student visa from:

University registration

University registration takes place at the start of your course. The university checks all visas, so you must have taken the required action as explained on this page.